The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blue linkia star just died (seemed kind of sudden!) I stood him up against the glass of my tank for inspection and noticed that he had little white/clear bugs crawling all over him... Any ideas what it could be? Are they good/bad etc. I also now noticed them all over in the sandbed. I never noticed them before and I'm not sure how long they have been there. I do not have a microscope and they are extremely small (smaller than a deer tick) so I do not have any detail on description to give. Should I be in any need to panic? What should I do?????????? As many of you know I am still real new to the reef world so any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
203 Posts
No idea but see if you can get a picture? Any further description and I'll help try to research. Not sure what else I can do to help. Obviously anything you do to them risks damaging everything else. Could you introduce a bug eating fish(s)? Maybe freshwater dips and 100 percent water change in combination? I've read of some folks using drugs with some damage to corals, inverts. It may be necessary to get these fellas. Anything that would get them would no doubt cause other dieoff resulting in a new cycle.

Then again they might be ok, just taking advantage of something that was already dead? Does anything else in the tank seem to be attracting them?

I feel your panic but unfortunately I'm not sure how to help.

Todd

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so far it does not seem that anything else is attracting them... but it is hard to tell. I will continue close observation for a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi trodder -- Sorry to hear about your star. Sounds like some type of 'pods (amphipods, copepods, etc.) were attempting to make a meal out of the dead star. :(

BTW, 'pods are a good thing. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like others have commented, the bugs are most likely copepods, isopods, and or baby amphipods. They are all desirable except for the blood-sucking types of isopods. Amphipods are the biggest of the 3 and they look like tiny shrimps. reefs.org library section has a hitchhiker's guide that desribes these things (look in the liverock or livesand sections).

Here's the link. http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/index.html

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay... now I'm getting concerned again. tonight a little while after all the lights went out all the little bugs decided to crawl all over my glass! They are everywhere! Primarily they are more concentrated on parts of the glass with a little bit of algae build up. Does anyone have any good pics of copepods, isopods, and amphipods? Again I do not have a microscope or anything so does anyone have any idea or any tricks on how to get a good look at these things to try and better describe or identify what these are?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.