The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon high tank w/ a rock wall foam background. i have all the plumbing running off a Fluval 504.Attached to an undergravel filter, the inlet sucks it through 2 inches of arogonite & fine white reef sand.Which then gets pumped out a pvc piece 29" long with holes drilled out,to spray the background to create a waterfall.
I have live plants throughout the tank mostly black mangroves have about 7 red mangroves. I also have 2 Eel Grass plants, 3 Indian Mudskippers, 3 grass shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 killifish, 1 female 1 male guppy, 7 nerite snails , & 7 marsh periwinkles.
My question is this. I want to upgrade my old 55 gallon reef tank into a mangrove tank(thanks to hurricane IKE!). I drew up some plans to "simulate" high/low tide do u think it would work?

thanx,
MXCN

Attachments

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I drew up some plans to "simulate" high/low tide do u think it would work?
How often are you wanting to change the water level? With a true ~6.5 hour tidal cycle?

With the note on the diagram that "container must be airtight", it appears you want to use air pressure to empty the bucket. If that is true, the pressure release valve will prevent that. It will simply release the pressure. Without it, the air pressure build up in the container would stop any siphon coming from the tank.

It looks very similar to a carlson device - in principle - and you could potentially modify a carlson by using smaller tubing to slow the filling/emptying process.

I have some ideas in mind if you can describe the timing/amount of water you want to change in the tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skipper high/low tide simulator

im thinking of doing the tides the way the are here in Freeport, Tx exactly to the T.But dont know exactly how i could do it totally automated. i do have a pressure relief & it does actually help with controlling how much water comes out at 1 time during "high tide".i built it today out of an old Oceanic salt container ,2.3 gal?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
I'd think maybe two medical pumps(one in and one out set at the same rate on timers into a container to hold the water for low tide.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Posted this in another thread but it should work for you. For low tide, turning on the pump will fill and then keep circulating the water in the bucket to keep it fresh. When the pump is off, the water will flow back through the pump and the tank will be at high tide. Depending on the size of tubing and pump you can control the rate of tidal change. No valves or airtight container needed.

Attachments

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Jadinop's is an awesome idea. He posted that picture in a tidal discussion thread and I had forgotten about the picture and the idea itself. If you didn't want the continuous flow through the bucket, you could simply put a powerhead in the bucket, raise the bucket up to the head pressure height of the pump so that it would shut the pump off from head pressure before it overfills the bucket. Turn the pump off and let it drain back through the pump into the tank. The size of the tubing you used would tell you how long it would take to empty the bucket, or, a valve to restrict the flowrate through the plumbing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 complicated ill post pix 2morrow. but all i need 2 do is seal the inlet hoses w/ silicone. I epoxied most of them, but i had 2 re-drill the top of the lid again. I ran it yesterday & it worked!I have a dual oulet air pump. As far as a dump bucket. Just not practical if this works & 2, its just not aesthetically pleasing 2 the eye.the way i have it now i can hide everything underneath the stand.But i really do appreciate ya'lls(from Tx) thoughts, inputs, & ideas.I'll definately put the dump bucket to use in my reef tank. any ideas on if this seup is ok as far as all the livestock i have in the tank? All the plants i have are live mangroves. I live next 2 the beach so High tide washes in mangroves all the time.White & red mangroves. but all seems well ive had the tank running for about 6 months. The 3 mudskippers dont seem 2 mind the other fish (2 killifish & a guppy) the peppermint shrimp & grass shrimp.parameters =sg. 1.10 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 amm.0!
mxcn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
probably 20 gallons or so ill do the math 2morrow. from what i understand archer fish need plenty of space. i only have a small swimming place so i keep small killifish & "tidepool" type invertebrates. As far as the tank goes i absolutelly love it.Ive had it up & running for about 6 months.Copepods, & worms galore all inside my fluval filter. I do no water changes every things a self sustained ecosystem so far. i only top off water evaporation. by specific gravity of course with ro water.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
do you prune plants and feed or is it truly a closed system? I have tried to do that w/ FW planted but mangroves have massive nutrient uptake so I can see how this could be more plausible. I would love to see a picture!:thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is truly a closed system. I feed mangroves Kent Marine Magnesium & left over nutrients in the water column (i.e. fish waste, rotting food, dieing invertebrates, etc.). I also dose with Purple up, arag milk, coralvite, strontium & molybdenum & also, Microvert. I prune the mangroves Red & black 1 time a month.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My peppermint shrimp had to go they were dying off slowly due to varying salinities.(brackish water tank)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i currently have 9 Indian Mudskippers, 4 cerith snails 9 nerite snails, 8 periwinkle snails about 4-5 fiddler crabs, 1 guppy female,7 porcelain crabs, & 1 crazy enthusiast!LOL!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im currently planning on drilling 2 bulkheads on the left side of the tank do u think that this would be possible?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts