The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Please Help!!!

Ok, would rather call it a med tank instead of a sick tank, after all we don't visit a sick building we go to a medical building :) unless you work where I do then you could call it a sick building:eek:

Anyway my second clown seems to be loosing color, He is still eating and looks like he has the strenth to with stand a dose of ICK treatment. My plans are this. I have taken a 24 quart trash bucket that has a lid and rigged up a power-head with ventre. I plan to do this

Fill the bucket with tank water from the tank with the ick problem. Place the clown and the yellow tang that have the problem. Tang had black spots (gone now) but is loosing color as well. I am going to place both of them in the Med bucket. replaceing the water I am taking from the tank with new salt mix about 5 gallons or 6%.

Is there anything else I can medicate them with besides the AP plus ICK cure. I have 20 gallons of medicated salt water ready to change out in the med tank about 1 gallon every 3 hours.

Antibiotics on hand, ethrowmycin, keflex, amoxocylllin, tetracycline, not even sure an anibiotic will help in this case.

please excuse the typing I hate this notebook's keyboard.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
ya got two things goigo n here.
the Ich is one and the black spot is another.. oh yeah black spot is also called tang disesae. it is actually a worm. after a few days on the host it falls off and burbs out a lot more baby worms to start the cycle over..
you can try a fresh water dip but that is not really a cure for it. Formaline is what you will need .. you will have to remove the fish from the tank for a long time... you need to trat the main tank with hyposlatinity if you can. and do a major cleaning of the substrate every few days.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this sound like I need to start all over again I did give the Tang a fresh water dip three times over the days after I noticed the blck spots. I am abot 10 minutes from giving up and setting everthing out by the end of the road with a free sign on it. Any other option here?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK here is what I have can some help in what to do.

I have a 55 not setup until this weekend, building stand now.

I have a 20 with liverock and 4 damsels no ick and they look really healthy. Water quality is good the tank never cycled. I used water from the main tank just after it cycled and moved a few peices of live rock from the main tank.

I have the 75 this is the one with the poblem.
I have a 30 set for brakish but I can give the puffers away
I have 1 med bucket with powerhead. I can add a filter to this
I have a seconf 55 in storage
1 wet dry with protein skimmer built in
4 bio filters that hang on the back of the tanks
I can build or buy just about any type of filter.

I have a tang with black ickand has been in the system for about 8 days clean now but substraight may be infected, he has his appetite back.

I have about 50lb of live rock with just about every type of critter you can think of. all small

I have a clown that has ick and loosing color but still eting

I have a dolly back with 2 white spots now but loves to eat

I have 9 chromis that look really healthy eat like a pack of sharks

I have a huma that looks really healthy and eats anything including my fingers

4 crabs 2 are zebra and two red legs. a couple of snails really small.

What I do not have is the ability to keep these guys alive without making mistakes. Can set up a web cam and anyone willing to help keep these guys alive please advise. I just dipped the tang and the clown in fresh water and then a 30 minutes in the med bucket with 1.5 times the suggested amount of ick medication then back to the main tank. both ate just a few minites ago

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
r6413utah said:
OK here is what I have can some help in what to do.

I have a 55 not setup until this weekend, building stand now.this will be a good thing to have going soon.

I have a 20 with liverock and 4 damsels no ick and they look really healthy. Water quality is good the tank never cycled. I used water from the main tank just after it cycled and moved a few peices of live rock from the main tank.

I have the 75 this is the one with the poblem.
I have a 30 set for brakish but I can give the puffers away
I have 1 med bucket with powerhead. I can add a filter to this
I have a seconf 55 in storage is this the same 55 as above? if not set this up
1 wet dry with protein skimmer built in get rid of the bio balls from it
4 bio filters that hang on the back of the tanks
I can build or buy just about any type of filter.make a sump if you can. having the extra water if always help ful

I have a tang with black ickand has been in the system for about 8 days clean now but substraight may be infected, he has his appetite back. that is the problem with those types of worms. by adding the fish back you open a reinfection

I have about 50lb of live rock with just about every type of critter you can think of. all small if possible remove the corals and critters to the 55gallon.or the 20 for now until the 55 is ready

I have a clown that has ick and loosing color but still eting try mixing his diet up a bit more, but during the infection time this is what will happen.

I have a dolly back with 2 white spots now but loves to eat needs to be treated right away

I have 9 chromis that look really healthy eat like a pack of sharks shoudl also be treated.. ich can hide inthe gill tissue of the other fish or even ini the substrate.

I have a huma that looks really healthy and eats anything including my fingers might thnk about having the LFS babysit him for a short time, or get him in the 55g ( one of them)

4 crabs 2 are zebra and two red legs. a couple of snails really small.put in the 20 gallon

What I do not have is the ability to keep these guys alive without making mistakes. Can set up a web cam and anyone willing to help keep these guys alive please advise. I just dipped the tang and the clown in fresh water and then a 30 minutes in the med bucket with 1.5 times the suggested amount of ick medication then back to the main tank. both ate just a few minites ago
becareful when using such a high dose. there is one liquid by kent that is suppose to be safe for reef tanks , i belive it does work on ich, not sure about the bblack spot though.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
may have a quicker solve for ya..
lookslike from the pictures you are using Crushed coral.. that is a sorta big no - no for reefs, unless you can do a serious cleaning once a week or more you shoudl remove it fully. if you do that, and go either BB or DSb you will be better off even SSB. take the water from that tank and go in ot the 55's..
remove the substrate from the 75. rinse out tank really good and set back up. if you put LR in one tank and fish in the other while you do this you will have better luck with everyone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!!!!!! I had 75lb of live sand the LFS suggested mix of everthing. So I have crushed coral, sand and shells. I let hime talk me out of it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you suggest I put an undergravel?? or just a sand bottom?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bare bottom, Shallow sand bottom, deep sand bottom correct? if I go with deep sand bottom, what about shells frags or the less the better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts