The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup my tank and letting it run but the durso standpipe and drain into the sump produces way too many bubbles and noise in my opinion. What's wrong with my plumbing? You can see below that water drains from the standpipe into flexible PVC that terminates intoa tee. Should I get rid of the tee, add a sock, trim off the PVC pieces? Pls help.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Are you worried about the bubbles in your sump or are they making it back to the display? A filter sock will help with reducing bubbles and also removing larger bits of detritus. However you will need to clean the filter sock on a regular basis(weekly). The "t" should help reduce some of the noise. Do you have baffles in the sump? Baffles should stop most if not all bubbles returning to the display.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise is a big part of it. I though the tee would improve the noise but I'm not sure if it is helping or making things worse. Honestly, I think the Mag 5 is louder than I expected it would be too. The other problem is the salt spray from all of the bubbling. Very few bubble make it back to the display.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
another thing to try is put a large diameter bubble trap at the bottom of the vertical piece of PVC that goes into the water. instead of the 1" (at least that is what it looks like) go to a 2" or even 3". extend it to within an inch or two of the bottom. this will keep the bubbles in the PVC to be evacuated out of the top tube.

it is also not a good idea to have a sheer vertical drop into a body of water. water makes noise when it crashes into itself. a nice smooth transition will also be better.

G~

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that a lot of the noise is coming from the sound of water rushing through the flexible PVC. I will try some of the recommendations ya'll have made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts