The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a credit at the LFS store for 150 and I would like to add a couple more fish. I want as much colour as I ca get but all reef friendly and be able to get along with my fish. Here are the fish I have. I have a 72 gallon with over 100 pounds of live rock with lots of crabs, snails and other goodies!!

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Hawk
2 Perc Clowns
1 Dottie Back
1 Blue Damsel

Can I add these fish

1 purple tang
1 saddle back clown

I want a tang and a clown so if they are not the best choice can someone tell me which ones to get these will be the last of the fish I will be adding.

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wouldn't add any more tangs... two in a 72 with over 100Lbs. of rock is probably already pushing it...

I don't know how the saddleback will get along with the perc's, but it might do okay.

With the fish you already have I'm at a loss as to what to suggest... a lot of aggressives in that bunch... :eek:

I'd look into gobies though... I have a purple firefish that is just gorgeous... since you have $150 credit you may even be able to swing a helfrichi firefish... a really rare one. :)

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No more tangs hey, that sucks!! I wanted another one so bad, how about a powder blue one? I want fish that will be front and center always up swimming around looking for handouts and greeting me. Come on guys there must be some that I could get

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I'd have to say that's a big "no" on more tangs as well. The two you have may end up stressed in your tank, from lack of swimming room and possible territorial issues with each other. Both the Purple and the Powder Blue are on the higher end of the aggressive scale, IME, and Powder Blue's are notoriously touchy in tanks that aren't large enough.

When your percs start mating, they are more than likely going to harass any new clowns, possibly to death-they may even do it now, but there's no telling for sure what may happen. They might be fine but if it were my tank, I wouldn't try it and I have a 135.

Why not try a dwarf angel? Many to choose from and most are pretty hardy, except for Rock Beauties and Bi-Colors; I'd steer clear of those. Flame angels have great coloring and are always out and about and Coral Beauties are one of my all time faves. I had a C. Argi, (common name Pygmy or Cherub) in my tank and she was a great fish. Usually one Dwarf Angel per tank, unless it's a large tank. They have a tendency to harass each other.

I really enjoy Blennies. You can't beat them for personality. Lawnmower blennies are fun to watch, although they don't have bright coloring. BiColor Blennies are one of my all time fave fish.

Alice

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Two species of clown is a risk. Purple tang and yellow tang will not get along - Powder blue and blue will not get along.

You've had good advice above - there are lots of reef-safe fish. Anthias are nice, a small group of green chromis, watchman goby, engineer gobies, cardinalfish, blue gudgeon, scissortail goby, centropyge angel, gee the possibilities...

(Of course not for all of these, but one or two of these would be great!)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well personally I think you have enough fish in your 72 gallon tank already! If you want different fish in your tank then I suggest taking some of the other ones back and get what you really want and make sure they are compatible!

I went through this when I first got into the hobby and had 8 tangs in a 72 bow front tank! They all ended up dead!! I can't see learning the hard way at the expense of the fish!:(

I would sit down and really decide on what you would like in your reef tank and do alot of reading and research on what fish you want and coming here is also a great way to start!!

I would have a pair of clowns, a red lip blenny, and two-three blue green chromis, a six line wrasse and maybe a firefish but that is just me! Wish you the best of luck in what you decide as it comes down to you in the end!;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Reef Safe. Some individuals can become nuisance to corals,

including nipping on mantles of Giant Clams and Coral Polyps!

Most angels do present some risk but alot of hobbists have flame angels in their reef.:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a copperband butterfly that is a model citizen (aside from the occasional 'mantle-nip') and he has those 'puppy dog' aspects that you're looking for.
Whenever mine sees me approaching the tank with the plastic bag of red tubifex he swims back and forth in front of the tank in anticipation. Also, every time I try to look at something or take a picture of something else, the Copperband is always right there in the way, saying "Pay attention to me!". :D

The only drawback is they are very picky eaters. Some people have been successful getting them to eat blender mush or frozen mysis shrimp, but I have to feed mine gut-loaded brine and red tubifex. It also eats pods, and any worm it can get ahold of... including featherdusters.
They're also fantastic aiptasia eaters... I haven't had a single one in my tank and I buy from a store that has had several bouts with it in all their tanks... to the point that it almost appears that they're selling aiptasia with a few other things thrown in the mix. :D

Your fish are going to get pretty crowded sooner or later though... better start saving up for that bigger tank upgrade... :D

G

·
dermp....... havent you already tried 2 diff species of clowns??? and didnt you have to get rid of them....so why would you ask if you could do it...you allready know from experiance you cant.....

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would also suggest a dwarf angel. I have experience with a Coral Beauty and it has lots of color.

Blennies usually have a great deal of personality. Take your pick, they are all good.

Pam

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, I was just hoping that there was a clown that would not turn on these two percs I have. I guess I will try the flame angel that they have!!!

Clint did you send those Zoo's to me??

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Dermp;

My bad; I'd forgotten that you had corals in your tank. Yes, a flame angel or a Coral Beauty may find your corals tasty. Many people have them in a reef with no problems, others have had them munch on more than can live with. Sometimes they are fine for years and then all of a sudden develop a taste for corals. Basically, they are a crapshoot.

I had a cherub angel for several years in my tanks and she was a model citizen. Supposedly they are the least inclined of the dwarf angels to be munchers.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I have decided not to get a angel fish! Had a few bad expereinces latley!! Right Alice! I don't know what I will get, I will let you all know!

CHEERS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lots of good advice here, but I'll add my 2 cents. I don't know if you get TFH magazine up there, but there is an article in the latest issue by J.Fatheree I think, about a lot of the "reef safe " and so called "peaceful " fish popular in the hobby. If you can get it ,it may give you some idea what your next addition might be.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry I can't get that here but would love to know what it says if anyone can help me on it. Thanks for the help guys. Still haven't bought anthing out of my store credit. They are suppose to get new stuff Friday so it should be fun:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.