The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out pricing up the 215 I am planning on building soon.
My lighting needs are as follows:
I would like good light penetration all the way to the bottom for SPS corals throughout.
I was thinking about coralife's 72" 3x250 HQI strip
http://www.coralreefsupply.com/detail.php?table=lighting_hqi_cl&item=CL_HQI250_72

but the guy at the LFS said it would not penetrate to the bottom like 3 250 watt mogul pendants would.
Should I go with this all in one strip or piece together my own (I have no problems building something) and should I use mogul or HQI bulbs?
Ive read a little and some say HQI is better than mogul, some say otherwise, and some say there equal. HELP!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Price wise I would DIY it with kits from our sponsors. You can get a bulb, balast and reflector from one of our sponsors for something like $159. Check around all the sponsors and check out the retro kits.
Thats a nice looking set up though, it just depends on what you want to spend. As far as penetration, how tall is the tank? My 150 is 24" and I have moguls. If the tank is around 24" that will work. With the double end bulbs youll need a piece of UV glass to shield the tank, its not needed with the single ended bulbs.

Robert

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
If you are going to be doing an sps system I would go for at least 4 bulbs over your tank for maximum lighting JMO

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I would say 3 400 watt metal halides and 12 75 watt actinic 50/50 VHOs.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I have full actinics on my tanks and when the MH are not on it is kind of dim. Next time I get bulbs they will be 50/50. I think I will also get some hange on type actinics to look at when I want to see the colors POP.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Asa far as actinics go , they are basically for our asthetic enjoyment. Couple the actinic with the K value of the MH and you get the color you like in the tank. For wattage that will depend on the depth of the water. Up to 24" you can use 250 wattfor penetration but 400 will give much more when it comes to placing SPS deeper in the tank. As for what the LFS said about Moguls penetrating deeper, I always have thought that the DE bulbs were better than the SE. At least thats what I have gathered from folks. If you do go 400 watts I dont think it will be an issue either way though!HTH

Robert

·
Registered
16 Posts
just a thoought but has anyone ever tried to position the tank under a skylight or something and use sunlight and a chiller to help increase light

·
Registered
290 Posts
webdr,

we'd be glad to help you out with any lighting you need... visit our store and remember TRT members do get a discount ;) I am sure if you buy all your lighting we can give you an even better deal ...

as you can see, opinions can vary...I personally have pendants...and supplement with T5 actinics...and the actinics are really just for dusk dawn effect and to see my corals cool coloring...

I'd be glad to help you with any method you choose though, and if you don't see it on the site, email me and we most likely can get it for you.

Regards
Gal

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I would do 2x 400w on the ends and 1x 250 in the middle. not all sps will want totally bright light. go with a retrofit kit to save cost. if you do 15-20k you can probably avoid getting actinic VHO's

·
Registered
117 Posts
i like the hamilton 14 k bulbs. 20k seems to wash out the colors,are too blue, and im not sure the corals get the right spectrum they need.i know alot of people use them but it just doesnt seem right to my.jm2c

i would go with the retro's also. you have more options that way and if something stops working, you can replace parts instead of the whole fixture.400's would be nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts