The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have decided to set the 300 up as a BB FO predator tank. The rules are as follows.

It must have 2 sharks (eggs so they will probably be banded cats)

It will only have 1 larger LR/LR pile in the center with plenty of room to swim around.

Fish i am considering to join the sharks...

Lions (tigers and bears)
Triggers
Larger puffers
???

please fill in the blanks and give me some specific recommendations. I am not doing a reef because i am in an apartment and will have to move... easier to move FO instead of a 300g reef. Remember that the sharks are bottom dwellers so the other fish will do better in the mid to upper levels of the tank.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
How about a Niger or a queen? Really cool fish. what kind of skimmer are you using? With two sharks especially you better have a darn good skimmer due to the watste they generate with poo and the food you watse trying to feed them.

Porkfish, grouper, would also make nice additions

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Twitterbait said:
Skimmer will be at least a bullet 3 or better

:thumbup:

If it were my tank I would go with one shark, A Niger trigger, and/ or a queen (queens rule) Maybe a porkfish, a grouper, and a large puffer.

use rods to support or cement together the rocks because triggers always rearrange things and porkfish are clumsy

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
this is pork fish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=374

a friend of mine has one and theyre really cool, get much gigger thou, in adult size it should say 180 gallons

and groupers are nice too
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=138
This one gets huge but very slowly. Youre tank could probably support it in adult size

and da queen
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1760
very amusing to watch
my friend has this one, along with a nurse shgark, porkfish, eel, panther grouper, blue dot grouper, puffer, and king snapper in a 1600 gallon FO

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why banded cat sharks? there are a couple of smaller ones that can be aquired fairly easily in the aquarium trade that are neater looking and will not be as big and destructive.

i think a big ol Zebra moray living in the center LR mound would be a nice addition.

if it were my tank i would also put one M. cap colony on the island and just let it grow any way it wants. :D

G~

·
Registered
274 Posts
once you get this thing up and running you better get some pictures in this forum!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't have a fish suggestion, but what kind of apartment are you in that will fit or support a 300 gallon tank! Sounds like it should be awesome!

Chad

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I cant do a large tank with fish I like, because they like to eat the corals, which I like more than fish!

But for a non-coral tank, you GOTTA have a Porcupine Puffer. Theyre just so full of character, theyre almost like underwater dogs. When my puffer Diddy dies, I'll truly feel saddened.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Oh, and as for Eeels.... On saltwaterfish.com theres a Green Fox Eel, I believe its called. Its pretty cool looking, and adds a nice bright green contrast to the rest of the animals in the system! I think that Hawaiian Dragon Eel has to be by itself, otherwise thats pretty cool too. Ive actually seen one similar in hawaii snorkling, I just about crapped myself lol. Its a little scary looking to your right and being about 4 feet from this underwater beast =\

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I can't wait to hear what you decide on. This is interesting. I'm sure that the pics will be totally awesome... can't wait to see it from start to finish.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
panther grouper!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts