The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I decide to not go fresh water. Say I decide to replace the pressure booster pump for my RO/DI. Help me rethink my tank and redesign my sump with say a budget of $700.

Current tank:
75 gallon bare bottom AGA Reef Ready sitting on a standard AGA pine stand.
2 Seio 1500 gph pumps
Remora Pro skimmer with Mag 3 pump
48" 260 Watt CF lighting
About 80 Lbs LR.

Current Sump:
29 Gallon AGA divided into 3 compartments. Left to right - baffles, return pump, refugium. The drain line is split. The first part of the drain line goes straight down. First "over" baffle starts about 3" from the left side of the tank. Baffles are spaced 2" appart and about 10" tall. The second part of the drain line is off of a T with a union and ball valve with regulates flow. It drains on the far right side of the tank into a compartment that holds about 10 gallons. It was going to be a refugium, but now it just holds the heater and a few extra pieces of LR that I don't know what do with and don't want them in the display tank. The return pump is a Mag 7 in the center section of the sump.

Things that HAVE to change:
1. Skimmer...it HAS to go in the sump. I'm not all that attached to the Remora and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fit it in the sump and remove the collection cup, so any replacement skimmer advise would be welcomed as long as I can physically squeeze it in between the sump and the bottom of the display tank.

2. The sump design. I know I spent hours thinking about it when I designed it, but it's not very well planned when it comes to cleaning. Trying to clean between the baffles is near impossible. Live and learn. I'm thinking about cutting the baffles out, moving the pump to the far right side and re-connecting it with vinyl hose. If I want to put baffles in later, I'd consider using the acrylic pressure baffles. I like having the option of putting in some filter floss between the baffles for a few days for polishing.

Things that I don't want to change:
1. Bare bottom FOWLR, but I am going to have to get some more fish. I miss having a Royal Gramma.
2. Lights, I'm actually pretty happy with them.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...every time I thought about doing a freshwater community tank I just kept thinking "bleh"...it doesn't interest me at all.

The African Cichlid tank is still interesting, but it sounds like they breed like rabbits, and I have no desire for breeding fish. I've got an empty 44 gallon sitting around, but I'm not sure if I want to set it up again. I found out some of them are even using protien skimmers...granted, they're using a skimmer rated for a 500 gallon tank on a 75 gallon tank, and skimming very wet, but I was impressed that they got them to work. I think it might have something to do with the similar pH and water hardness.

I love my saltwater tank...even if it only has to evil clownfish in it.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I know exactly what you mean... I used to do fresh way back when...but for me, it can't compare to this... I wish someone could explain what it is about this that is sooo addicting!

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Why BB for a FOWLR? And why not some mushrooms and Xenia and green star polyps since you have the light? Other then that I not sure what to spend 700 bucks on with just your sump. Do you have a pic of your current sump setup? Can you even get it out w/o taking your tank off? Your skimmer will have to sit inside the sump to fit.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank back in February. I didn't have the actinics on, just the 10k. No pictures of my sump.

Why a bb FOWLR? BB is easier for me to keep clean. I've never really wanted to mess with corals too much. I tried Xenias once, but I had some Heniochus that thought they tasted pretty good. I didn't seem to have much luck with mushrooms either.

Take the sump out?...uh, no, it's pretty much there to stay. My dad and I had to knock the center brace out of the stand to put the 29 gallon sump in and then nail the brace back in place before putting the 75 on the stand. It's a little cramped top to bottom, but I wanted a good sized sump and still have some open space in the stand for storage. I've got a pretty good amount of storage space to the right of the sump, although, a shelf probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I think I'd like to mount the surge protector on the side of the sump as well.

I was kind of hoping to find a skimmer that needs zero or close to zero clearance to remove the collection cup. I thought I might be able to squeeze the skimmer in sump without the collection cup on and then attach the cup.

Trust me, $700 I think is a low ball number.
$200 replacement pressure booster pump for RO/DI - could have sworn I payed almost $400 for the exact same pump a few years ago.
$175 for a UV sterilizer I know it says it's for a tank up to 500 gallons, but most products are overated so it should serve my needs and is fairly compact.
$200-300 for a new skimmer?

The remainder will probably go for things like replacement bulbs for my lights, assorted PVC fittings, more snails, fish, a few new pieces of LR if I find anything with interesting shape.

One of my main goals is to make the tank a little quieter. The Remora is pretty loud. The Mag 7 return pump is pretty loud because most of the return line is hard line.

I think I might actually set up the 44 as a temporary tank for the clowns while I re-cook my rock and make all the changes to my main setup.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked at those. The price seems good for the needle wheels. The fishing line mod seems to work pretty good as well. I really need to get a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the sump to the display tank so I can start narowing choices down.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I would say don't over think it... I would get a decent skimmer like an octopus nw150, set it up and get it running. Based on what you already have I think your not far off from a simple and satisfying tank!

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say don't over think it... I would get a decent skimmer like an octopus nw150, set it up and get it running. Based on what you already have I think your not far off from a simple and satisfying tank!
:eek:Get out of my head...I've just been reading the modification thread for that skimmer over at RC for like the last hour. The price is really nice too... http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=749

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tonight I told the better half that I wasn't converting to freshwater. She got a small smirk on her face, so I know she's happy about the decision. Then we got to talking about the changes I want to make. Once I get everthing I think I'm going to need/want I'm going to set up my 44 gallon tank again to house the clownfish while I overhaul the display tank.

Then we got to the subject of restocking the tank. She was very excited until I told her "No puffer." She's always wanted one, but I don't really want one. So my stocking list is starting to look like this:

2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
3-5 cardinal fish I haven't decided to go with Pajama cardinals or Banggai
3-5 Blue/Green Chromis
2-3 Chalk Bass if I can find them locally
1 Purple Firefish

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So much for a $700 budget. I started putting my shopping list together and I'm looking at almost $1000. Time to start rethinking the things I really need.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
What more do you need? You list what you think you need and we'll go from there;)

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
LOL...ok, here's the list and where I'm getting the stuff from, if you know where I can get the exact same thing for cheaper let me know...

www.oceansaquariums.com
$149.99 Octopus NW-150 - I'm going to look around locally for a gate valve for the mod.

www.thatpetplace.com - driving distance
$199.99 RO/DI Pressure booster pump
$172.99 Coralife 36 Watt UV sterilizer
$61.78 10k 65 watt square pin bulbs (2) - haven't replaced in almost 2 years
$44.39 03 Actinic 65 watt square pin bulb (2) haven't replaced in almost 2 years
$25.18 10k 15 watt T-8 bulbs (2) - for the 44 gallon tank
$43.99 Refractometer ATC - been using a swing arm for 5 years
$77.98 Oceanic Salt mix 200 gallon bucket (2)
$7.49 1" bulkhead fitting MPTxFPT
$5.79 3/4" bulkhead fitting MPTxFPT
Grand Total: $638.58 (Not including sales tax) I swear this place is a black hole...

www.filterdirect.com - need new guts for my RO/DI
$5.00 1st stage sediment filter
$20.00 2nd & 3rd stage carbon filter
$60.00 4th stage 100 gpd TFC RO membrane
$15.00 5th stage DI
$20.00 Maintenance kit - Auto shut off valve, flow restrictor, check valve
$5.00 Filter wrench
$8.00 Garden hose adapter - my current adapter is starting to crack
$32.00 Dual inline TDS meter - don't really NEED one per say, but would be nice to have to know exactly when to replace the RO or DI filter.
Grand Total: $165...hey I can buy a brand new 6 stage 100 gpd with dual DI filters for $150 from the same place, but what would I do with 2 RO/DI units?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Skimmer is good.
Ditch the UV... you don't need it.
Try Hellolights for the pcs, but you don't need new ones for a FO tank.
Swing arm is fine for a FO tank.
You can almost buy a new RO/DI for those prices!

Get what you absolutely need to set the tank up and then go from there. The most hassle free, nice tanks I have had, have been FOWLR and very simple set ups! I set my whole first 55 gallon tank for $400 and it worked great!

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still using the old pressure booster pump until it burns out. I was suprised to find it still works, but it sounds like a jet engine in the kitchen. I filled up the 44 gallon tank with RO/DI and salt. I have an Aquaclear 100 powerfilter with just the sponge block, a 150 watt heater and borrowed one of the Seio 1500's out of the 75. Tomorrow I'll remove the LR out of my sump and transferr it into the 44.

I'm a little curious to see how long it's going to take the 44 to cycle before I move the clownfish over.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And so it begins...

After 6 weeks, the 44 was ready for the clownfish to move in. They were a little peeved at being moved, but their making themselve at home and swimming around a lot more today.

All of my LR was removed from the tank and put in a 25 gallon Rubbermaid tub to start cooking again.

Cleaning the tank, sump and equipment took most of the day yesterday. I got 2 of the baffles out of my sump. The other 2 are staying in because I can't get my arm in far enough to cut the silicone. I at least got out the two that really needed to come out and now I have plenty of working room in the sump. The skimmer is going to be on the far left as close to the drain as I can get it. The return pump and heaters are going to be on the far right.

Good news:
I don't have to take the display tank off the stand to get the skimmer in the sump. :D I do have to have the sump empty so I can slide it to the middle of the stand because of the center brace in the stand, but it's better than having to drain a 75 gallon tank just to get the skimmer out.

Not so good news:
I can't reach the bottom of the sump so I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the pump to the skimmer.:doh: I think I might be able to hold the skimmer up high enough with one hand and attatch the pump with the other...otherwise I'm going to have to have a 6 year old come over and do it for me.

Things still left to do:
Remove the bulkheads and clean the overflow.
Re-do the plumbing in the sump.
Make the drain pipe more quiet in the overflow.
Make the siphon break hole in the return line lower so it doesn't spray water everywhere in the overflow.
Put the cutting board back in the tank and silicone around the edges to keep detritus from building up underneath.
Fill it back up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts