The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have to choose what set up I would like to buy.... One of the people I know has a 180 AGA with a crushed coral, sand mix bed w/ a solid oak base (looks aged) with 2 hang on over flows... one going to a tidepool filter and the other going to an amirical wet dry w/ skimmer in it... both filters are attached with hose and there is one return pump.... $800

The Second choice is a 180 AGA with a pro made (but home made) solid oak base.... with built in drilled over flows in each back corner.... and has a 38 and a 45 gal tanks for sumps.... only one return pump (needs a second one is made for 2) $450

I think I have my mind made up but would like to hear your point of views that might help me make up my mind.... I have until prob sun afternoon

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
no question: Drilled tanks, especially glass, check the stand for absolute flatness without the tank on it, then plan on putting a piece of foam insulation on regardless to take care of any unevenness in your floor where you set4 the system up.

btw, $450 for the tank is a good price.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree with Tom as well! Nice price and set-up!:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like I am going to have a hard time with you guys talking me out of the cheaper one.... no coments on DEAL #1 being better because of the filtration?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
if you buy more than a rubbermaid sump, then you will be paying too much, unless they are giving you a Ca reactor or the like...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a picture of Deal #1 (snake not included).... deal #2 I dont have pictures of but is ALOT cleaner and the tank and base is flawless

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
for me it is a now brainer. i would go with the cheaper one. those two tanks are all you need for filtration. the amiracle skimmer is OK, not a write home about so i do not think that that is a big deal. the only thing that would sway me to the other one is if that one had a full MH setup in it.

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Definitely a now brainer...

Geoff said:
...it is a now brainer. i would go with the cheaper one... ...the only thing that would sway me to the other one is if that one had a full MH setup in it.
That and the fact that the drilled overflows are just about idiot-proof. Although I have used these in the past and never had problems, most over-the-side overflows are just disasters waiting to happen. If you have the option now, get the drilled tanks. Unless you just like to needlessly spend money
, I'd buy the cleaper, better alternative :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts