The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I caught this snail trying to eat my feather duster. The feather duster was trying to get out of its shell like thingy. Yesterday I caught him killing another snail and pulling it out of its shell. Weird. I got him when I bought the 72!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

Attachments

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but it could be some sort of whelk - they are known to be predatory.

HTH

Jenn

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he has a really long nose thats dark with white on the end of it. Not sure if that helps any

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
I agree....it looks like a predatory welk. I'd remove it from your tank ASAP....

Jodi

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have it in the 5 gallon, I removed the snails and the crabs!!! Now I know why when I got the 72 gallon, there was no snails, feather dusters or crabs!!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
It kinda looks like a nassarius snail to me.
I've never seen a nassarius go after a feather duster though... but they will clean up dead snails since they're opportunisic scavengers.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Nassarius snails look a lot like whelks (in fact, I think, nassarius snails may be a non-predatory whelk). I know that Dr. Ron Shimek can identify them from a photo of the underside (shell opening). I'm not sure how, but he is the invert expert. There was a problem one time with someone selling "nassarius snails" that were actually predatory whelks. And occasionally, a predatory whelk can be shipped with a group of nassarius snails due to the similarity in appearance...

Glad to hear that you got it out of your tank. Whenever I have something questionable, it goes in the mantis tank (since I don't have a sump).

Jodi

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It so wild!! I just found something else. It looks like a caterpillar its only small pink in colour and its fury!!!

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Pic? Could it be a cucumber?

Are these things coming out of new live rock? That is my favorite part of new live rock....all the cool critters that suddenly appear!

J.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Oops...Reefer Addict and I posted at the same time. Didn't think bristleworm.....

Definitely a "do not touch" item. I've heard they can leave spines in your skin that are similar to fiberglass. They are difficult to get out and are very painful.

They are great detrivores. Leave that one in your tank....

Jodi

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree... my favorite part is finding new stuff that I didn't know was in the tank... except last night I found a couple flatworms. :eek:
At least they're a nocturnal variety because I don't see them during the day.
It's amazing what goes on at night on the reef. :)

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No its not a bristel worm. Its very short and fat and looks nothing like a bristel worm!!!!! Its body is pink in colour and its legs seem white and hairy. Its strange, very strange. I would take a pic but my camera sucks and its so small!!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Uh oh. is it purple? I have one of those...I saw it at my lfs and thought it was pretty, so he gave it to me; he said it was a hitchhiker on the LR. So far he hasnt caused any trouble. He's about the size of a pinkie fingernail. Hope he doesnt terrorize MY tank!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
no, i mean the snail. i got a snail that looks just like the snail in the pic posted by dermp...i hope mine's not a crab or snail eater.

erin

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
StellaMN said:
There was a problem one time with someone selling "nassarius snails" that were actually predatory whelks. And occasionally, a predatory whelk can be shipped with a group of nassarius snails due to the similarity in appearance...
They were a variety of dog whelks - black shells with red and white markings. I know, as I've been yanking them out for 2 years now. :rolleyes: Anyway, it could be predatory - it doesn't quite look like the green-tinted nassarius.

And as for the pink thing, I have bristleworms that are huge, fat, pink and have white bristles. A cuke would be a less likely possibility, as would be a nudi. Hard to tell without a pic.

Danielle

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Danielle the worm or what ever it is, is very short in stature. It looks nothing like my bristle worms. Having said that maybe it's a different type. But to me it looks like a catapillar?? Very strange!!

G

·
Mrs Smith said:
They were a variety of dog whelks - black shells with red and white markings. I know, as I've been yanking them out for 2 years now. :rolleyes: Anyway, it could be predatory - it doesn't quite look like the green-tinted nassarius.

And as for the pink thing, I have bristleworms that are huge, fat, pink and have white bristles. A cuke would be a less likely possibility, as would be a nudi. Hard to tell without a pic.

Danielle
i have a black and white checkerd one....i have been try to catch the sob for 5 months....i got way to much lr to be takeing it out for a whelk....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts