The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased a new 65g tank and am thinking about placing it like a room divider. Suspending the lights from the ceiling is not an option so I would like to get a lighting mount/hanger that goes on the sides of the tank. I drew up a design wondering if anyone knows if this lighting suspension/system already exists, and if so who makes it.

-click pic to make bigger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
what light do you have?

so if I am lokin' at this the right way, you want to mount two up0rights to the sides of the stand that are height adjustable and then the light will rest on them rather than the rim of the tank, right?

well, its made as a system specifically for aqua illumiantions led fixtures, but is here<O:p</O:p is the upright parts anyways. don't go by the picture. all that comes with that is the vertical part and the bracket to mount it to your stand. they come in one long length but can be cut to whatever height you want or left long and adjustable. I dunno if you could rig up some sort of mount for other lights, though.

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what light do you have?

so if I am lokin' at this the right way, you want to mount two up0rights to the sides of the stand that are height adjustable and then the light will rest on them rather than the rim of the tank, right?

well, its made as a system specifically for aqua illumiantions led fixtures, but here is the upright parts anyways. don't go by the picture. all that comes with that is the vertical part and the bracket to mount it to your stand. they come in one long length but can be cut to whatever height you want or left long and adjustable. I dunno if you could rig up some sort of mount for other lights, though.
I don't have any lights yet, so I'm open for any system that is similar to my sketch. Just looking at different options, anything that goes on either side of the tank either by mounting it to the stand or clipping it onto the tank itself, being able to adjust it up and down is a plus for easy accessibility to the tank. I do not want the lights themselves to rest on the rim. Thanks for that suggestion you mentioned I will check that one out thanks. and as promised "Air Hug" :smileykiss2: - closest thing I could find to a hug lol

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what light do you have?

well, its made as a system specifically for aqua illumiantions led fixtures, but here is the upright parts anyways. don't go by the picture. all that comes with that is the vertical part and the bracket to mount it to your stand. they come in one long length but can be cut to whatever height you want or left long and adjustable. I dunno if you could rig up some sort of mount for other lights, though.
Oops.. the link you shared didn't work :bawling:

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
sorry bout that.....all fixed now. :)

most of the t5 fluorescents have legs that sit right on the rim. can I ask why you don't want something to sit on the rim of the tank? is it rimless?

I dunno about your lighting budget, but those rails that I linked are made to work with the ai lights, if ya wanna go with a really nice led. how long is your tank?

I have two vegas over my 3 foot 40 breeder tank and am extremely happy with them. they are a bit on the spendy side, though. ai does have some cheaper models that are just about as good, though.

sorry, getting a little scattered ad off track here!

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to get LED'S, my tank does have a rim but I just want to be able to access the tank easily and think that lights laying across the top of the tanks rim would get in the way. If they were to just clip on either side of the tank and can raise up and down that would be cool.

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry bout that.....all fixed now. :)

most of the t5 fluorescents have legs that sit right on the rim. can I ask why you don't want something to sit on the rim of the tank? is it rimless?

I dunno about your lighting budget, but those rails that I linked are made to work with the ai lights, if ya wanna go with a really nice led. how long is your tank?

I have two vegas over my 3 foot 40 breeder tank and am extremely happy with them. they are a bit on the spendy side, though. ai does have some cheaper models that are just about as good, though.

sorry, getting a little scattered ad off track here!
I want to get LED'S, my tank does have a rim but I just want to be able to access the tank easily and think that lights laying across the top of the tanks rim would get in the way. If they were to just clip on either side of the tank and can raise up and down that would be cool.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I think most of the lights like the t5 fixtures just set on the rim. there not attached or anything so you can easily just take them off when you wanna get into the tank.

I think there are just 4 little "feet" that kinda rest on the rim of the tank so you can slide the lights back and forth. that's the way the mount for my aqua illumination leds is as well. when I want to get in the tank to clean it, I just unplug the lights and lift them off.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Im gonna invent something to mount leds. It seems like it woyld help alot of people. Its just hard to figure a way to do all of them. Every light is different every tank is different.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dannygirl.. Will you have a canopy? The tubes going up the sides of the tank to hide wiring probably won't hide much. Most of the lighting fixtures require a ballast and they are usually pretty big. If you can narrow down to a couple of fixtures you are considering we can give you better opinions.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Maybe it will give you some ideas..

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/diy-epoxy-acrylic-coated-light-mount-215883.html

I did have a full length Coralife Metal Halide 150wx2 unit, 4 feet, sat on top the tank, it wasn't too bad to move, but often times I just wanted enough room to reach into the tank on one side. With this you can easily just move a light aside.

Unless you hang from the ceiling, there's not many options for elevating a unit to work inside the tank...

·
Banned
104 Posts
Maybe it will give you some ideas..

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/diy-epoxy-acrylic-coated-light-mount-215883.html

I did have a full length Coralife Metal Halide 150wx2 unit, 4 feet, sat on top the tank, it wasn't too bad to move, but often times I just wanted enough room to reach into the tank on one side. With this you can easily just move a light aside.

Unless you hang from the ceiling, there's not many options for elevating a unit to work inside the tank...
I have a 6' 135 gal tank. I have a 72" Coralife triple MH and T5 fixture. I have mounted aluminum angle on the ends of my tank. They are painted black and are stuck to the tank frame with double edged tape. The angles extend over the back of the tank by a little less than 1/2 the width of the fixture. If you need access to the tank, you simply push the light toward the back of the tank and it slides out over the back on the aluminum angles but the center of gravity is still over the tank. When you are done, just pull the light back to the front of the tank. I still remove the light occasionally, but most everything is now done with the light in place. It's easier and you can see what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a 6' 135 gal tank. I have a 72" Coralife triple MH and T5 fixture. I have mounted aluminum angle on the ends of my tank. They are painted black and are stuck to the tank frame with double edged tape. The angles extend over the back of the tank by a little less than 1/2 the width of the fixture. If you need access to the tank, you simply push the light toward the back of the tank and it slides out over the back on the aluminum angles but the center of gravity is still over the tank. When you are done, just pull the light back to the front of the tank. I still remove the light occasionally, but most everything is now done with the light in place. It's easier and you can see what you are doing.
Nice idea!
I think you're on to something... :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kessil led goose necks mounted to either side of the tank would be cool and easily accessible. I have 3 kessils on my 180 and love the shimmer

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bought a small photography background support off e-bay for about 40.00. took the legs off and mounted the uprights to each side of the stand and hung my lights from the cross bar. I can adjust the height in seconds.

Attachments

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a small photography background support off e-bay for about 40.00. took the legs off and mounted the uprights to each side of the stand and hung my lights from the cross bar. I can adjust the height in seconds.
Smart thanks for the idea. "Air Hug"

·
water maiden
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dannygirl.. Will you have a canopy? The tubes going up the sides of the tank to hide wiring probably won't hide much. Most of the lighting fixtures require a ballast and they are usually pretty big. If you can narrow down to a couple of fixtures you are considering we can give you better opinions.
I have no idea really new to this hobby still and was gonna do another post to get some good ideas on which LED's are good for a 65g that are not a kagillion dollars lol "Air Hug"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts