The Reef Tank banner

Help me figure out which fish to add!!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ShroomDaddy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I need ideas on a colorful fish to introduce a focal point to the aquarium!!.

Its a 180 Bow front, with a sump. I currently have a clownfish, a foxface, a yellow tang, a diamond goby, a long nose hawkfish, a chalk bass, a six line wrasse, a bi color angel, 2 cleaner shrimp and a sand sifting starfish.

Most of these fish will remain small with the exception of the foxface and tang. Most of the fish Ive had for over a year and half.

Any suggestions on a cool fish that will get along with these? I was thinking maybe a butterfly, but i had 2 die already.. It was odd because none of my other fish did!

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
I doubt it, especially in a tank that large. There may be some aggression at first, but they'll get used to each other and become quite docile after a short time. A kole tang would look good in a tank that size, and together a kole tang and a yellow tang would make a cool duo. You could probably do a blue tang if you wanted, as your bioload is pretty minimal. I would also look at dwarf angels (Potter's angel, flame angel, coral beauty, etc.); while some may pick at corals, I find them absolutely stunning.

#5 ·
How about a trigger- may very cool triggers out there. If it has to be reef safe then a Blue throat trigger. They are personal ( have a personality) , can take care of themselves and don't really pick on other fish. They are also reasonably hardy and eat pellets, meaty food, unlike butterflies who are very picky eaters and are sensitive to water parameters.

#6 ·
They will rearrange your liverock and are notorious for their aggressive personality. If you're looking for a peaceful community, this is not the fish to add.

#7 ·
I guess you have to define "peaceful community". Having 2 tangs, a clown ( what kind? - what if it is a Maroon) , with a Bi-color angel is not peaceful community in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - he doesn't have a predator tank - but it is not like he has gobies, seahorses, pipefish, etc. either. Blue throats are much less aggressive than other triggers. "rearrange live rock"= only if it is small rocks and not secure. Just a suggestion anyhow - I had one for over a year - not overly aggressive at all - but no one bothered it either. He never moved any of my rock. With the established residents he has = 2 tangs, clown, and a bi color, he will have to get a fish that can take care of themselves or it will have a hard time getting acclimated/established. Although - the Blue throat trigger will have a tendency to eat your inverts like snails and hermits if not well fed.

How about a small school of Anthias? If they are of decent size and if in a small school ( say a male and 2-3 females) they may get established by presenting multiple "targets" instead on just one. Being a difference species from all other residence and by adding them all together, they may not get bullied at all.

#8 ·
I guess you have to define "peaceful community". Having 2 tangs, a clown ( what kind? - what if it is a Maroon) , with a Bi-color angel is not peaceful community in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - he doesn't have a predator tank - but it is not like he has gobies, seahorses, pipefish, etc. either. Blue throats are much less aggressive than other triggers. "rearrange live rock"= only if it is small rocks and not secure. Just a suggestion anyhow - I had one for over a year - not overly aggressive at all - but no one bothered it either. He never moved any of my rock. With the established residents he has = 2 tangs, clown, and a bi color, he will have to get a fish that can take care of themselves or it will have a hard time getting acclimated/established. Although - the Blue throat trigger will have a tendency to eat your inverts like snails and hermits if not well fed.

How about a small school of Anthias? If they are of decent size and if in a small school ( say a male and 2-3 females) they may get established by presenting multiple "targets" instead on just one. Being a difference species from all other residence and by adding them all together, they may not get bullied at all.
I was thinking anthias but I believe he's looking more for a centerpiece, and for the most part, schooling fish are background fish. Also, he has gobies and hawkfish and wrasse and I would not trust a trigger with those, unless they are capable of handling themselves well.

#10 ·
Tangs are aggressive no same similar tank appearance I believe, e.g. a blue hippo wouldn't be aggressive towards a yellow since they do not look alike BUT a blue hippo might be aggressive to a brown powder due to being similar looking. That is my take, I tried looking around for supporting documents but couldn't find any. When I had my tangs my kole and blue hippo got along.

#11 ·
my understanding is that different families of tangs are usually OK, you just can't get them from the same family. I'll find out tomorrow as I ordered a yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) and powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) from liveaquara and was given a blue hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus). So I'll have three different families of tangs. I figure as long as I don't put a mirror near the tank they won't know if they look like each other or not (it's family, not looks IMO...) there might still be a slight risk between the powder blue and the blue hippo, I'm not up on my taxonomy to know the difference between acanthurus vs. paracanthurus, but from my reading I believe it will work out as long as they are all added at the same time (thus why I placed the order from liveaquarua... the blue regal tang has been in my sump for a couple weeks now, need to get him in to the DT!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.