The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ditch my Rio just incase, what pump should I get to replace it? How can I mod it to be a needlewheel?

I don't want to be another it happened to me too person.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
We used a maxi-jet with some sort of modification that had an airlilne going into the extra tube we added to the maxijet to run our 125-tank skimmer... and ditched the Rio.

Now... we USED to run rios way back in the beginning... and we never had one explode on us like we were warned, and we changed them all out after hearing a few stories... But...

a couple weeks ago when we were redoing our reef and unloading our FO tank... I had large amounts of rock in several tubs with powerheads running. I found a Rio 2500, looked brand new, never used in fact, in our pile of reefing stuff - and I put it in. It ran powerfully and fine. 3 days later, it was humming, but not working at all, I lifted it out and a thin trail of smoke arose from it... and there was oil floating on the water! I got all the oil up with paper towels and was VERY glad this did not happen in the tank!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I think I remember hearing someone say that ocean runners have needwheel attachments. Ocean runner is a great pump.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I replaced my Rio with an Eheim, it's been great for several months now, if that helps!

HHC

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gen-x submersible pumps have a needle wheel with them, just make sure you get the right one.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
I would see what other pumps the Coralife skimmer comes with and replace the RIO with one of the other ones from the MFG with the NW in it.

I have a NW Oceanrunner 2700 (2500 W/NW), but it is huge and you would not want it in your main tank. Good pump though.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm thanks for the suggestions here, let me surf some of the sponsors and see what I can find.

i'd like to do a maxijet but without the needlewheel won't it affect the skimmer output?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Okay fine I'll ask because three other people didn't know either. What is a needlewheel? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts