The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder. I have an old neptune controller (15 years old) that still works. I love it except for the noisy switching on the x-10 modules. One of the major goals of my new tank is to be extremely quiet and have low energy consumption.

I have read about neptunes direct connects. But they are costly.

Here are my options.

Buy a neptune direct connect 8 for $180
or
Start puchasing the following components separately.
CurrentSea Wavemaker $47.00http://currentsea.com/wavemaker.htm
3 Digital Timers $40.00

The neptune will complete my neptune system. However, the minimum timing on the neptune wavemaker is 1 minute, but the CurrentSea is 5-15 seconds, which I prefer. Should I stick with the neptune which has more overall control or start switching to separte devices?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well you will end up using the neptunes for lights and other programmable stuff. But I really do like the DC instead of the x10s. I would personally take the DC and make do with the 1 minute intervals.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I would get the DC8 providing it is for sure compatable with your older controller. Also at $180 for it when you can get a AC Jr. w/ DB 8 for less than $100 more, you may consider just getting the whole thing new.

There are articles and proven that wavemaker at short intervals does not oxygenate corals as well as longer intervals 1 minute is perfectly fine and even preferably to be longer. I wouldn't let that stop me from using for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David,
Thats a good point considering I need a new temp probe also. So basically $60 more. That is a great deal!!!!

Dave

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
There is a group buy thread over on reef central in the premium aquatics sponsor forum with links. There are two Jr. models one with the serial port and one without the serial port. I think about $20 difference. If you want to hook it up to your computer and run Aquanotes you must get the serial port version. If you only plan to use standalone you can get without a save a little money however, it you were to resale it later down the road the port would be a good selling point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts