The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Nano reefer friends.. I was just given a 10 Gallon Nano from a friend that has had the tank up and running for over a year now. It's clean.. looks good, I'll probably add another couple pieces of LR depending on what I want to do..

In the main part of my house is my 150 Gallon Mixed reef setup, so for this little one I'm not looking to do Clowns, Nems, corals or any sort of reef thing.. if I throw a few mushrooms in and they do their thing, then..cool..

I want your collective experience and or knowledge of maybe just a single creature comfortably in here.. I was thinking a Mantis shrimp, Reef Lobster, a dwarf eel of some sort, or a seahorse or something along those lines.. I know my way around a saltwater tank and just want something unusual, but with care for the animal I only have 10 Gallons...
Thanks for the input for whomever replies to this, but either way, something is going in here.. Ok, go..
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
I don't think you could fit a dwarf ell in something that small. If you are looking for something very unusual, you could do a dwarf octopus. I would suggest doing your research though. They can fit through any hole, so the tank would have to be completely sealed off. They are mostly nocturnal, so you wouldn't see it much. They also require toys to stay stimulated. And on tip of all that, they should be fed live food, such as hermit crabs, once per day. For seahorse, your only options would be dwarfs. But then you would have to hatch out brine for them, which is alot of work. Or you could culture and feed them copepods, which is much easier. I would go the dwarf seahorse route if you have the time to care for there specific needs. If you have any questions about them, just ask. Also check out seahorse.org. You could also ask some of the sea horse experts on here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think the eel was out, and I had given thought to an octopus (which is something i'd like to try), but my fear would be that the tank would just get too hot during the day here in So Cal. I know they are tremendous escape artists.. thank for the input!!.. I will do some research on the seahorses.. I have seen them in the LFS before, but i was under the impression the water ran a tad cooler then our reef setups.. Thanks again..

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Dwarf sea horses water should be at the lower end of a reef tank temp. scale. I'm going to be keeping mine at room temperature, so in the low 70s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts