The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I got my first shipment of SPS frags in this week now I need to up the flow in my tank. My tank is a 58 with a mag7 hooked to a 3/4" Sea Swirl from my sump. Which one of these options would you chose for additional flow if this were your tank?

1) Osci Wave with a MJ1200
2) Spray bar hooked to two MJ1200's at each end of the tank
3) Two MJ1200's hooked to a Natural Wave power strip alternating current.
4) None of the above, I have a better idea!:D

Help me out....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well I am not sure how much help i'll be but when I went to get some thing to give me better water movement It was suggested by the lfs I go to and also trust very much. He told me to try this new style power head by ZooMed aquatic. Its the power sweep 228 automatic self-rotating powerhead. It flows 270gph and can be adjusted to lower flow. For the money in my opinion its well worth it and works quite well. I have 2 in my 55 gallon and there simply amazing. I am sure others will give you advice that is much better than mine but I figured I would give ya my 2 cents. O and they are priced around 50 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Primaco,

Well right now I do not have any the only thing providing water flow is a mag7 return from my sump. (probably about 500 gph)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have ran the Azoo Power sweep and it worked for me. Only problem that I foudn was that you have to clean the moving head on it or it will freeze up. Also it blew bubles out even when I did't have the air hose in it. But I am now running 2 regular power heads on my 37g along with the my CAP2200 return. I added a valve to my return to adjust the flow rate. If you are looking for some power heads Karsco, shoot me an email.

-Paul

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
We have a Wavemaster running 4 Maxijet 1200s - it's good for nice, random currents. (Although we were going to upgrade to dual 1' Seaswirls and yank the powerheads...) But since you're going the other way, a wavemaker might be something to consider.

HTH,
Danielle

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
or get one good powerhead/pump, and a scwd. and make a cls in the tank, instead of a truckload of powerheads in it.

least pvc, will grow over with coraline.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay,

Very good point, anybody have pics/plans of an externally mounted CLS that can be installed without drilling. What external pump could I use? I need at least 300 gph or more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Karsco: Rich Durso added a closed loop on his existing tank by using the return pipe in his overflow. Pretty engenious, go to his website and select the hardare link and then the water movemebt link and then closed loop.

http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm
:dance:

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
haha mike i was about to give the same link, glad i took a sec to see what you had first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts