The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the planning stage of putting a small theater in the basement. It will have 6 to 8 seats and use a projection device. First I'd like to find out what I should use for walls. My wife wants velvet curtains all the way around and I was thing more of a fabric covered foam or something. Does anyone have expertise in this field? or just have ideas of what we should use? We'll get to the hardware later...

Thanx! :beer:

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
You can stick up that eggshell foam cheap and get it from probably U-Line. A local cardboard and packaging vendor might work out a deal if you want to buy a skid of it. Do not get the grey kind even though it is nicer to the touch. That is what they hung on the walls at that Great White fire that killed all those people and it is highly flammable. Sewing your own curtains is really easy to do. In Idaho Falls they have an outlet store where I got heavy duty upholstery fabric for five bucks a yard where it usually goes for 25 list and hung dowels up to hold everything with fancy endcaps where it showed.

As far as hardware despite an electronics and tech background that changes so fast and I would recommend picking up a few home theatre magazines and getting a beer and and a lawn chair and beginning to look. You can go from mild to wild on that. A basic system is now a flat screen with some front speakers and rears delayed with a subwoofer hidden anywhere then the sky is the limit.

·
Administrator
46,651 Posts
Wont curtains all around absorb a lot of the sound that would reflect and add ambience?

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Doug1 said:
Wont curtains all around absorb a lot of the sound that would reflect and add ambience?
"the absorbent foam soaks up sound waves and they stay in the room you want them in reduce unwanted reflections. Reflected sound causes standing waves that detract from the overall sound by making bass boomy and ill-defined. It also causes smearing and blurring of the midrange, making the sound dull and lifeless. Adding these room treatments reduce reflection problems, improving imaging and giving music and theater audio a more realistic and detailed sound!"

Here is a good explanation as to why they use curtains and wall panels in theaters....Have fun with the room.

·
Administrator
46,651 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Ocnreef :) I am guessing that the absorbtion of sound waves is why high powered amps are required to achieve pleasing sound levels, not cause guys like big loud toys ;)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Without sound deadening the room will take on it's own resonant frequency. A basement is poured concrete and you gotta break up sound or it will turn into a giant subwoofer with multiple harmonics. Heavy curtains will help a lot though as will chairs and people and stuff.

There is a ton of sound deadening foam at www.mcmaster.com but I will PM you a contact to buy a few rolls of layered stuff that will work for you from a company I used to work with a lot as a vendor. Their deal is quieting equipment and removing all of the vibrations. This dude can tell you what to do. It might involve a couple types of foam and some spray contact cement but you can roll your own. My business card holder is at work though.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it doesn't surprise me that not too many people are interested in this. I worked up a budget number to do it, and it can cost anywhere from $12K to $14K. I really wasn't ready for that kind of expense so it's going to be a slooooooooowwww process, I think.

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
whatevva said:
Well, it doesn't surprise me that not too many people are interested in this. I worked up a budget number to do it, and it can cost anywhere from $12K to $14K. I really wasn't ready for that kind of expense so it's going to be a slooooooooowwww process, I think.
I was going to say something..........Reef tanks and a home theater room...nice hobbies but the money flys out of the pockets.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Ocnreef said:
I was going to say something..........Reef tanks and a home theater room...nice hobbies but the money flys out of the pockets.
You left out the bike and the beemer.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Just saw that Matsushita is coming out with a 103" flat screen TV now. It is bigger than a double mattress.

That might be a good start and you can add the rest later, and even watch it when it rains.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Phishnoob said:
Just saw that Matsushita is coming out with a 103" flat screen TV now. It is bigger than a double mattress.

That might be a good start and you can add the rest later, and even watch it when it rains.
I dont know if even whatevva can afford that thing. Besides for the price you could probably build a top of the line theater and put in a 3 chip dlp projector and still have plenty left over.

·
Administrator
46,651 Posts
With that big a screen you could put 6 junkers in the back yard and have your own drive-in :D

·
Administrator
46,651 Posts
Speaking of Drive-ins, as one who grew up in that era, and being one that likes nice car stereo, I found it sad that the venue seenmed to die off really quick after they figured out how to broadcast the soundtrack to your car radio rather than them AWFUL tinny window speakers.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
We have two drive-ins in Idaho Falls. Haven't been to one in ages, but will have to put that on the calendar in say 48 days or so.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rather than them AWFUL tinny window speakers
I have a closet full of them at my mom's house!!! :rotflmao:

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW...I'll definitely be using a projector.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you mean bikes Perry
And I have a new one coming in, next month, that I ordered 2 years ago!! :drool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts