The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on my lighting configuration. Tank will be a 120 acrylic (4'x2'x2'). As a noob, I will be starting out with softies and lps, eventually getting into sps and clams. I would like to start out with VHO's and be able to upgrade later, but I'm open to suggestions as well. I already have an IC 660 with endcaps. It needs a new harness, but I plan to use it. My initial plans are for 4 - 110W VHO's (2 actinic, 2 10k). Does it make sense to run all four bulbs on the 660 or should I get a 430 to run 2 and have the 660 to run 2? If I should get a 430 would I run the actinics on that or the 10k? Or does it not make a difference? Down the road I plan to upgrade to MH with VHO actinic supplementation when the sps/clams come into play. Would 2 - 250W SE be sufficient or would 2 - 400W be necessary due to the 24" depth? This will all be retrofit into a DIY canopy - I hope.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Brandon

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
using seperate ballasts is a nice to have but not required. The church tank I maintain all bulbs are on a single ballast and everything does great and been this way for around 3 years. Having actinics on seperate from daylights is more for you to look at the corals with just actinics than it is for the corals themselves. So really depends on if it's worth it to you to run an additional 430 for the actinics.

If two flourescent ballast really doesn't fit your long term plans, personally I would stick with just running on the 660 you have. However, since Icecaps have good resale probably can sell the 430 and not totally loose your shirt if having the actinics only would mean you enjoy the tank more in the short term.

You would want to run the actinics on the 430 and the days on the 660. Reason is the 660 will produce about 20% more light ( but also 20% more electricity ) than a 430 so best to put the daylights on the 660.

What bulbs you use is totally a personal preference, for me 2 days and 2 actinics is too blue/purple. For a 4 bulb setup I would go with 3 Actinic/White ( 12k ) bulbs and 1 SuperActinic.

As far as MH, 250W will be fine. However, if you want to run the higher K bulbs ( higher than 10K ) you may want to go with 400W instead to compensate for the less intenisty of the high K bulbs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David.

I am thinking I will start with the 660 only and see how I like the setup. I can always add the 430 later or just go straight to MH. When I get this setup, I will try different combinations of daylights/actinics to see what I like the most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts