1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 gallon freshwater paludarium, 24 gallon reef tank
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Purple Underwater Freezing Marine biology
Cloud Plant Purple Azure Branch

I just got this leather coral from my LFS yesterday. It came with this brown stuff growing on the base of it. It’s polyps are also just little brown dots. Does anyone know the cause or what either of these things are? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
Good morning Harry!

A good number of my Leathers show this 'dark area' at the base of their trunks as they grow. I've never seen it effect their health or growth though. Were the polyps 'open' at the store yesterday, or when you got it home? And do you know the name of the Coral?

Hack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning Harry!

A good number of my Leathers show this 'dark area' at the base of their trunks as they grow. I've never seen it effect their health or growth though. Were the polyps 'open' at the store yesterday, or when you got it home? And do you know the name of the Coral?

Hack
Thanks for the quick reply!! The polyps were not open at the store yesterday and I do not know the name of the coral. It is shedding right now so I think that could account for the hidden polyps. Do you think that could be it?

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,356 Posts
From the photo, is the tank fairly new?And what else is in the tank?
if it’s shedding that could be why they haven’t opened up for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the photo, is the tank fairly new?And what else is in the tank?
if it’s shedding that could be why they haven’t opened up for sure.
Yup I just set up the tank 2 weeks ago. Ive had it cycling. At the moment, it has pulsing xenia and a duncan as well. I only have these 3 corals in the tank because I want to see how they will do before I add anything else.

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
'Shedding off that mucus membrane' could easily account for lack of extension. Do you have any Fish in your tank yet? Leathers, and softies in general like a bit of 'dirtiness' in their water. A 'mature tank' is more to their likings. NOT DIRTY WATER,m but water with some 'nutrient level' to it. NO3 around 5 ppm range pleases them.

And on another note I noticed , relatively speaking, that you're right down the road from me......how's Y'All's snow amount coming along? I'm over here near Absecon area......and guessing you bought the new Corals at The Aquarium Center?
Hack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'Shedding off that mucus membrane' could easily account for lack of extension. Do you have any Fish in your tank yet? Leathers, and softies in general like a bit of 'dirtiness' in their water. A 'mature tank' is more to their likings. NOT DIRTY WATER,m but water with some 'nutrient level' to it. NO3 around 5 ppm range pleases them.

And on another note I noticed , relatively speaking, that you're right down the road from me......how's Y'All's snow amount coming along? I'm over here near Absecon area......and guessing you bought the new Corals at The Aquarium Center?
Hack
Yep I definitely took the fact they like ‘dirty’ water into consideration. I have 3 hermit crabs in the tank to help it cycle. I feed them a variety of fish food pellets because there is no algae in the tank yet.

And yes I did get my corals from Aquarium Center! The snow is coming down pretty hard over here. Sucks though because I was hoping to order some macro algae online. Now gotta wait for the weather to warm up a little.

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
SORRY for the tad bit of 'personal space' there, but I notice new folks when they pass through here.....and our area is an ABSOLUTE BLACK HOLE when it comes to 'reefing', so I just had to say 'howdy' to Ya.
Hack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, this place is definitely a black hole when it comes to reefing. Its the only aquarium store even relatively close. Are there any other stores you go to or is Aquarium Center the only decent one you could find. By the way, how were you able to check I lived near you: just curious.

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
As an ADMIN here I get to see 'location' during registration. .....helps identify 'SPAMMERS and TROLLS' before they hit our site. I seldom 'pop out of the wood work' during the process, but was just excited to see a 'local'.

Locally as far as lfs go I use Ocean Aquarium in Pleasantville on rt. 40. Been there for EVER, and I've used 'John's' store myself since the 80's.......He uses the 'rule of 3's'.....1/3 the time he's seemingly paying more attention to the fresh water side of his operation....1/3 the time Marine Fish...and.....1/3 the time Corals. NEVER a great selection, and mostly the 'mundane'. But he's bloody handy, and as knowledgable and honest as they come. I'D gladly recommend him.

The Aquarium Center I've found has a GOOD STRETCH....and then....a BAD STRETCH. I try to get up there 2-3 times a year to see which 'stretch' they're on. It's about a 25 minute drive for me and I LOATH DRIVING!
Hack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As an ADMIN here I get to see 'location' during registration. .....helps identify 'SPAMMERS and TROLLS' before they hit our site. I seldom 'pop out of the wood work' during the process, but was just excited to see a 'local'.

Locally as far as lfs go I use Ocean Aquarium in Pleasantville on rt. 40. Been there for EVER, and I've used 'John's' store myself since the 80's.......He uses the 'rule of 3's'.....1/3 the time he's seemingly paying more attention to the fresh water side of his operation....1/3 the time Marine Fish...and.....1/3 the time Corals. NEVER a great selection, and mostly the 'mundane'. But he's bloody handy, and as knowledgable and honest as they come. I'D gladly recommend him.

The Aquarium Center I've found has a GOOD STRETCH....and then....a BAD STRETCH. I try to get up there 2-3 times a year to see which 'stretch' they're on. It's about a 25 minute drive for me and I LOATH DRIVING!
Hack
Oh, ok cool. Its definitely awesome knowing there’s someone else in the area that enjoys the hobby too. I’ll definitely go check out Ocean Aquarium this weekened though, maybe they’ll have a few decent frags.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
At least you have have a couple of stores close. The closest place to me is a Petco an hour away. For an actual aquarium store I would have to drive to Dallas or Fort Worth, around 3 hours one way.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,356 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
At least you have have a couple of stores close. The closest place to me is a Petco an hour away. For an actual aquarium store I would have to drive to Dallas or Fort Worth, around 3 hours one way.
Wow , that a drag having to drive that far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome and have fun.
Thanks! Thats rough man. Im assuming you get most of your stuff online. What websites do you like to order from? I’m big in the freshwater and vivarium hobby but I’m not as experienced when it comes to saltwater

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Mostly from Petco. The shipping is way too high online. I have had no problems with their quality. I will probably look for a Blue Ridge coral in Dallas.

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
OOoohhhhhhh.....There Ya go with the Blue Ridge Corals again Jerry......We have just GOT to get some. If I find some, THAT may be a part of my future 'fragging operations'.
Hack

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
Just in case you haven't noticed yet Harry, We'All are a fairly 'sociable' bunch round here......,part of what makes our site different.
Hack

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
By the way.....I'm a 'softies' keeper, and currently have a 210 gallon system I've been running for over 7 years now,

Water Natural environment Organism Underwater Natural material

Water Blue Azure Natural environment Fluid

So when the time comes, and you decide you're in the market for some of this, we can talk.

At the moment I am in the process of 'changing my direction' in my reefing journey....I'm taking my 210 down, and building a fish room down stairs dedicated to a 'Fragging operation' rather than just a 'display'. I want to be able to give back to this hobby by helping keep maricultured Corals on the market as opposed to wild harvested.

Hack

·
Administrator
17,719 Posts
......NO......This was no solicitation for selling, or promoting a business! ("Or I'd have to BAN myself!") :ROFLMAO:
Hack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts