The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a huge outbreak of small white spiral dots, about .5 to 1.5mm. They have popped up over the last day or so. On the back flow box, on rocks, on the glass, powerheds, etc etc. If you live in florida we have these little white snail shells that you find in the sand. These are simular but they looked glued in place. I can't ge a good shot of the either.

What are they and are they bad?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked up images for spirorbid anf they are 99% match. now will these get bigger, die off or require somekind of suppliment. Will they rob from something else such as calcium, trace elements etc etc etc. Sorry for all of the questions. This tank has only been up for 60 days and trying to be proactive on any type of out breaks.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Most will die off; some will stay but they don't get very big at all. They will use Ca and a few other elements; but with regular WC's (along with supplemental calcium -- depending on emulated biotope) they will be replaced.

·
Registered
375 Posts
They're perfectly normal in all tanks. My overflows and back/side glass were covered with them before I moved the tank. If they grow on a part of the glass that you don't want them on, scrape them off just like algae. They will establish a balanced population. To an extent, they filter your water and are good for your aquarium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts