The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i need help to id and therefore decide the correct care for this LPS. It has areas that seem to be receeding and showing the darker base. please help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been feeding phyto, and just moved it to right in front of the jet, hoping that it just hs not been getting enough flow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pity, the beautiful piece. You may try to blow away or suck out the damaged tissue, using pipette or turkey baster.

If you can, place it in container (or a separate pico-tank, easily cleanable), where you can easily feed it, keep the food density high, easily clean and to do the water changes. As I said before, what worked for me - a smallest zooplankton.
I did such feeding chambers (with heater and the smallest power filter) for the sun coral, it helped,

then moved it to the tank, capable to process results of heavy feeding.

This is additional troubles, but not the first and not the last in reef-keeping. Consider it a hospital tank. :)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Pity, the beautiful piece. You may try to blow away or suck out the damaged tissue, using pipette or turkey baster.

If you can, place it in container (or a separate pico-tank, easily cleanable), where you can easily feed it, keep the food density high, easily clean and to do the water changes. As I said before, what worked for me - a smallest zooplankton.
I did such feeding chambers (with heater and the smallest power filter) for the sun coral, it helped,

then moved it to the tank, capable to process results of heavy feeding.

This is additional troubles, but not the first and not the last in reef-keeping. Consider it a hospital tank. :)
You may be on to something there reefyone, please start a thread & explain this ''enclosure feeding'':read: :dance:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought, that I did that, may be on the others forums.
The same container feeding, only container is a permanent place for a coral, with heater and small water filter:

Feeding time, the filter is without any filter media, just for water movement:

After feeding the all water is changed (at once or in 2-3 partial water changes, one after another). The water is from the established tank that is nearby. Then the piece of filter floss roll (or bonded pad) is added, for picking the ocassional pieces of the food.

For gorgonian can be used: a) 1g vertical acrylic tank from WalMart, or 2) pitcher-shaped Brita container (second hand).

The positive part - the high density of the food in a small volume, only ~2g of water are used in a week, the tank, from where the water was taken, has a small partial water change (the new water is added), coral in not handled - all time in the same place. First time tubastrea spawned there, BTW.

The negative part - full abcence of any biological media (on purpose, it should be only after micron sock filtration, or after skimmer - other way the pores will be clogger by the food really soon) , the water should be changed every 3rd day (IMHE), or it starts fouling a little. It's takes a time and one have to remember to do that - and after 2 months I started to relax and forget about things due...

It could be (wild guess) applicable for any coral, that requires heavy feeding, making impossible water quality in average tank.

Don't have a photo yet, but I assembled a new setup for red finger gorgonians and chilis:
- a rectangular container (Brita water filter, second hand), draining at the bottom as a main feeding chamber, where corals will be.Should have a heater and mini-pump or smallest power filter for water movement during feeding, when the sump is off;
- behind or beside it - the sump, any plastic container, that will hold all necessary things. I picked the idea here
It should hold skimmer (my spare $20 Lee's large CC skimmer) - to remove dissolved organics, the micron sock - for main filtration, biomedia (LR, LR rubble, or, in my case - Seachem Matrix, cheap) in the plastic mesh basket(s), so will be good flow through, container with DSB for nitrates reduction (no detritus should settle there, only clan water goes through, 1g cut bottle from distilled water in my case), probaby chaeto in the top layer, but it should be separated from the sand - no debris should go there. And return pump, Mini-Jet 606.
Separate heater - the return pump will be off during feeding, the skimmer all time "on".

Didn't tried yet - gave the Nano-Cube the last chance with additional Power filter. Will see, if it works.

I had good success with reviving half-dead LPS, just by removing the dead tissue, running carbon for some time, and feeding the animal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts