The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - The tank temperature is 82 without running any lights. I am going to add a couple more ventilation fans...but I fear that isn't going to be enough.....

Anyone out there running a chiller? Any advice on which one to buy? Do they really ad $25++ to your electric bill every month? How many months a year do you people that run them - run them? eeeek!:confused:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i'd be more concerned with teh 3 or 4 hundred bucks to buy one, than the 25 a month on the electric bill :eek:

i would try more fans first. but i'm cheap like that :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - trip to Radio shack tomorrow is planned...but I think the buzz from all these fans is going to drown out the TV which is in the same room.....

·
Registered
537 Posts
I noticed on another thred that your fan was pulling air out.
If you flip it around so it blows on the top of the water; you will have more evap, causing the tank to cool down.

Also check out the orion fan OA119AP-11-3TB. 74cfm @ 18db. they are dead quiet. $20 each and half the noise as the ice cap.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
...or mount them over your sump inside the cabinet with a piece of Dryer duct or 4" PVC to pull air into the tank cabinetry from outside the cabinet. Fan(s_ are inside the cabinet, you get cooling, and you pull in air external to the cabinet.

2 cents worth...

·
Administrator
49,113 Posts
Hmm the fans I have move serious air but need to be inside cause they make a little noise.
The other problem with the chiller is taking over the kiddos closet, and dumping that heat there.
I'm telling ya open top on the cabinet will help, its the heat thats trapped that jacks up water temps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Watch IceCap for a new kind of chiller. Its called a eco-chiller. Its supposed to be located between the overflows and sump. The water trickles over and is cooled. Much savings in electricity. I see that they use these in Europe also.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
ylmaya-OK, how industrious do you want to me. what is located below the tank downstairs? how much room is behind the tank? can you run a vent from the sump area up behind the tank to the top where the lights are.

what i was thinking is, run a vent from the A/C system up into the cabinet from below. tap into the nearest vent. not a truely elegant solution, but it should work. that way you are pumping in cold air. of course you would need to shut the vent off during the winter. :)

you are going to need a lot of volume of air to keep the temp down. a squirrel cage fan would work better than the normal ones you would use.

Jay-thanks for the pics. i leave for a weekend and i loose track in my head of whose tank is whose.

G~

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK - today I went and got 2 6" diameter fans from Radio Shack. (I saw someone using them at the Florida Marine Aquarium Show yesterday. I will install (as soon as the plumber/carpenter/electrician gets home from work) one above the tank and one above the sump. We'll also cut 2 more vent holes in each area as air escapes.

I'll see what this does to the humidity/temperature in the cabinet. If this doesn't work the next step will be to run dryer vents through the wall into the closet on the other side.

I'll keep you posted on temp change.....THANKS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.