The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we all know tunzes are big and hard to hide...I think I have that covered...I am more concerned with hiding the power cord inside the tank..

Soooooo, on my nano via aqua it has these plastic channels that I think are siliconed to the glass and I can pass a heater cord etc from the bottom to the top inside these channels...

I'd like to find something like that for my tank...I'd put a channel going up either side where the overflow meets the back of the tank...that way the tunzes I place at the bottom of the tank will be hidden by rocks and then I can take the cords up the channels..

So question to all you guys is, have you seen these anywhere? I prefer they would be black in color...and is siliconing them to the overflow going to work? My overflow is actually made of an acrylic shell glued onto glass, so I need something that can glue to the acrylic..I know I can use weldon if the other product is also acylic...and then you guys might suggest I just get an acrylic piece and glue it wouldnt you?

Any help would be great.

G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Take a 1" piece of ABS pipe (cheap) cut a slit in it the size of the cord on your table saw (watch your fingers) aim the slit toward the back side so you can slip the cord in the slot but not really see the slot from the front.

It's a thought anyway,
Whiskey

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea wiskey... I will entertain that thought...my concern is how will I affix it to the acrylic overflow...I dont want it just being free....then again, these cords are black anyways, and the back of the tank is black, so I guess you wont really notice them anyways right? LOL...

G

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are right...the cord is thin enough so I just need to run it up through the corners and it should be ok....So here is what I am going for... 3 x 6100s along the bottom, and then either 2x6100 or 6200 at the top of the tank... in addition to that...I have my CL dart plumbed on a OM 4 way at around 3000-3600 gph, and my return that will be around 800-900 after head loss....turning sump over around 6-7 times, then again, my other gen x will be running the frag tank and ca reactor, so that would be another 1000gph going through the sump, so I guess a total of 1800 or so GPH going through the sump that is 120gals...I know its a tad high but I am really not keeping much in there, so it should be ok right?

BTW, I am a new sponsor on here, so be looking out for my ReefTankSupply.com banner soon. I am having a 10% off sale now til 9/1 and also trying to orchestrate some group buys on rare fish, but I can get you pretty much any fish you wish for at much less that local LFS stores.

G

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
The size of the tunzes and the cords are why I designed my new tank around them so they are both totally out of site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts