The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have kept freshwater for about 8 years and 1 saltwater tank that went downhill. I have started another one up and it is working good untill now. I have dark grey spots in the sand under my rock as well as the rock that is burried alittle under the sand. My tank is 30 gallon with 2 submersible power filters(maybe together 200 GPH for water movement on the top and 2 800 gallon per hour fan type power heads for the rest of the tank and a aqua clear 200 with carbon and floss or something. and some chemi-pure bag. The sand bed is about 2.5 inches deep. I do not have any base rock it is all live about 20 pounds. I have 3 damsels and a green star polyp, 10 astrea snails and about 8 blue legged hermits. If you could help me out with this it would be great I would love to complete this and have a succesful reef tank any help would be apreciated
I also just added 3 pounds of live sand from my LFS they create it themselves in there own tank.
another question i have is my nitrates rose to well past 160 ppm in one day!. I got it down to about 40 and now around 0 real Quick!! but why?
sorry i have so many questions I get so many different answer on research im going insane literally.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey this is toxic?. I asume it is because i did not use base rock and the live rock was under the sand. I cycled the tank for 2 months with live rock and sand and 2 damsels nor corals. My nitrates just went down about 2 weeks ago and my water is a little cloady now. Should I lift up the rocks and put them ontop rocks that aqre not alive or just leave it the way it is? I do not have a ugf or plenium. I just have a aqua clear 200 and 2 submersible power filter for water agitation on the top

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You tony and mock the information is great. I like getting just one answer rather then 100 different ones from the internet. I just sighned up yesterday. I like this forum very much. Can any one tell me what would be good for sand sifting crew. I only have ten astrea snails and well had 13 hermits only 6 or 7 now. I seen star fish but wouldent they nock down my rocks and corals. I glued my corals to the rock so i dont now. any suggestions would be great!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more question

I have one more if anyone can help me out? I was having waste build up ect in corners of my tank and i thought i needed more water movement. I just got 2 800gph vibration,fan,propeller type power heads and i have one going up to the top of the water making in flow across the tank with like little waves rolling in to shore or something and the other a little bit facing down on the other end of the tank moving acroos the "reef". is this too much? are they in good spots? O yah i have 1 215 power speep in the corner. Any answers would be GREATLY APRECIATED.:thumbup::fish::thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.