The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from my LFS where I bought a yellow watchman goby and his pistol shrimp.

When I got home I saw that in addition to my purchase they put in a small (1/2") frag of Kenya tree coral. I guess it was just a little present because I'm always telling them that soon when I start my coral's that's the first one I would like.
It's really great and all but I wasn't ready for this with my research and such, and I don't want to bring it back and possibly offend them as they have given me some really good deals.

Any help from acclimation to long term keeping would be greatly appreciated.

My tank is only 6 weeks old and my API testing kit says Amm-0,Nitrite-0, Nitrate-20. I do weekly water changes with fresh RO/DI, SG - 1.024/5,
temp-79F, lighting- standard cheap T5 2 bulb system on a timer with 9 hour cycle.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

·
Administrator
18,790 Posts
The Kenya tree is a fairly hardy coral. It doesn't require incredibly bright light or perfect water conditions. It does better in an area of low to medium flow usually about halfway down the tank or towards the upper portion of the lower part of the tank.

This is a good coral to start with but has one issue that causes me not to recommend it as a beginner coral. That issue is that the coral tends to propagate to quickly. It does this by dropping branches off which then grow to become colonies of their own. This can result in a Kenya forest pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
+1

I've thrown out soo much from sevral colonies I let grow/go. It is litteraly like a weed, but like Chad said, it's a great coral to start with. And it has it's place in any DT if kept in check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I guess with it growing so fast and aggressive thats probably why the LFS gave it away, LOL. But I don't it taking over my tank so I think I'll find it a new home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It wont take over ur tank and it is a beautiful coral in my opinion. And if it drops some pieces u don't want give it away. Its a great start to a reef and I have several pieces in my 175 reef that cause 0 problems. Try not to be overly cautious or u will become frustrated with this hobby. Give it a shot and if u don't like it trade it in for something else. No sweat.

·
Administrator
18,790 Posts
In the case of Kenya trees, let me give you an example...

The stand of Kenya is this picture comes from one branch the size of one joint on your pinky finger. I have given away more frags than I can count.

Another example is xenia as seen in this video.
This stuff also came from a frag no bigger than a finger.

I'm not trying to discourage you from keeping your little Kenya tree frag. On the contrary, I think you should keep it. I just want you to know that they can grow quickly, they also fight with other corals, so you need to be aware what the effects will be on your tank. The more you know about your corals the better you will be able to plan your tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good point about getting frustrated and such. It might not be a bad idea to give it a try, especially being such a young tank and all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I definitely agree with educating as much as humanly possible with the reef hobby. However I think u gotta jump in somewhere. Let's face it there's nothing more rewarding than seeing ur corals grow and flourish in an environment you created. And a Kenya tree will live even with some nitrates. I think its a great beginnners choice. Again just my 2 cents though.

·
Administrator
18,790 Posts
Thanks. The top one is my 210 gallon, I just spun around and took the picture to post. The other is a video from an older tank that I no longer own.

Not much to know. They grow quickly, reach large size, like low current but bright light. They are aggressive and can damage certain other corals. This is the main reason their quick growth is an issue as they can pop up and then poison other corals. For the most part they only seem to bother stony corals. While they are aggressive they are weak in a fight and will often not win the battle. They can be fed daphinia or phytoplankton but I've never ever ever ever ever felt the need to feed them. As fast as they grow with just light I can't imagine how large and quickly they would grow with feeding.

·
Barracuda
318 Posts
As you will researche coral growth depends on many things, water quality, lights, placement, flow...etc I got this tiny kenya frag on 26th dec, it was about 3/4" and now it's about 2 1/2" with 4-5 new branches. It is my 1st tree and love the look of it. So it took 3 months to get this size.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm really quite jealous of you guys right now. The pics of both of your tanks looks really nice.

Thank you both for all the help with my knee jerk reaction to my little surprise, and breaking it down to simple plain english.

I've had it in my tank a few days now and it has really come to life. I originally thought it was only about 1.5" but now thats it fully adjusted and in a happy spot it's about 3".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts