The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get home from work today and the water is cloudy, urchin spines are everywhere, clowns are breathing hard and staying low and my tang is wedging himself into rocks. water parameters are good. any ideas? tank has been up for 3 years and fish are at least that old. no recent additions or changes made. Is it possible the urchin is dying and poisioning the tank?
--
CLint

already did a water change and it didnt seem to help so doing another one right now
coarls arent looking to bad mostly just affecting the fish, crabs are still alive as well

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Clint
Whats the temp of the tank? Did you clean the urchant out of the tank? You might want to run some carbon until you figure out whats going on.

·
Physical/Reef therapist
388 Posts
that happened to me 2X, I had some macroalgae die. I removed it and the tank was fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I ran carbon, thanks been away from the hobby for a bit didnt even think of that, changed about half the water and now everything has cleared up. The only damage done was the death of my very healthy yellow tang, took 2 months of quarantine :( and the urchin died. I'm thinking the urchin was getting picked on or dying and released some kind of toxin that made the fish sick because nothing else in the tank was affected just the fish. Once I started running carbon the rest of the fish started coming back but it was too late for the tang. Thanks for the advice.
--
Clint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts