The Reef Tank banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I read an artical by a doctor in china who was triggering breedind by introduction of stress. He had started with prawn. he increased breeding four to five times greater then normal. He wold take the females and clip the left eye off. this caused them to go into a continues breeding cycle. He also claimed that a species urge to reproduce was directly associated with stress and danger. Anyway he had a type (not sure but thinking it was freshwater) of fish that would not breed in captivity but by placing a tank with feared preditors of the test fish, it would trigger them into breeding. His threory was that only some fish and invertarates breed only when certain conditions are correct such as moon light and or time of year. but that these times can also be peak hunting times for preditors and there urge to survive is so strong it starts the breeding process.

Examples I am looking for. If you had several seahores in a tank but none of them bred could mean one of a few things. All one sex, conditions are not correct and/or fat and lazy (hehe) but if you add a threat to the tank they become stressed, staying in groups and doing the only thing that makes them feel better, breed. actually I think this is called a gheto thearory that physcologists came up with why populations that under deress and the quality of life is bare we only do the one thing that triggers opiates in the brain. Now I am pretty sure fish have a different nevourse system if any, but something has to initiate the sex drive.

Anyway enough with the bla bla bla, if anyone knows of this study or canleadme in the correct direction , thank you in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts