The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have this feather macro algae in my aquarium and it's driving me crazy. I have a refugium (reverse day light) w/ the grape macro algae but the feather just grows like crazy and interferes w/ the corals, etc. I was thinking of getting a fish to help eliminate the algae (or at least control it). I have a purple tang who's been in the tank for about 5 years and he's fairly agressive (although he's only about 4" long - kind of a runt - including tail). I also have a 6 line wrasse and a little mandrin gobi. I have a 100 gallon TruVu w/ a 40 gallon sump/refugium.

What kind of fish would be the best for my tank?

Please respond and thanks,

Dave

·
Administrator
61,131 Posts
Dave I would trade off the purple, they can be from hell, like damsels with caudal peduncle scalpels, anyway I would try a sailfin, my yellowtail decimated a nasty reef Kudzu, I mean caulerpa infestation :)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
11,825 Posts
I had a small yellow tang that made short work of the feather and other assorted macros in my 55; in the 135, my Coral Rabbitfish has absolutely cleaned up any sprig of green thing growing. If I can ever catch the wascally wabbit, he's going to go live in Mojo's tank and do the same thing :)

What I did when I was looking for a macro muncher was take some of the offending greenage to the LFS and toss it in the fish tanks. Whichever fish showed the biggest appetite got bagged up for the trip home!

Alice

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, with Piero, I'd be worried about the part that was sticking up when ya put his head in the tank - ya never know what might happen :)

I'll have to make it to Portland to get a fish. I think that the probability of getting my purple tang out is diminishingly small. Actually, now that I think about it, he wasn't too bad when I had a sailfin tang in the tank, it was my wifes very nasty Clarke clown that did the sail fin in.

Is there anyone in town you'd trust not to have a quaranteen tank? I'll look into another Sailfin or possibly a Rabbit Fish (I'll have to look that one up).

Any other suggestions?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.