The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· 125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
So I was given a rose anemone about 9 months ago. Everything was great until it split about a month ago. Both new anemones started off looking pretty healthy but now one has started to look very unhappy.

Unhappy anemone:

The other half seems to be happy and healthy, although he has been moving around recently.

What should I do? :help:

125G
Salt: 35ppt
Temp: 80
PH: 8.05-8.1
Ca: 430
Dkh: 12.1
Mag: 1400

· The Fang Blenny
1,096 Posts
Did you change anything in the tank right before it split? All your levels are perfect... What about your lighting setup? If you have fluorescent, do the bulbs need changing?

Nems can't break down large portions/pieces of food well, so they should be feed small pieces of meat. I feed my nem every other day to a few times a week depending on how he's looking: really expanded, long tentacles I'll feed, then next days he's not as sprawled out.

BTAs can split if they're really happy and healthy or if they're stressed out. They will also move around the tank if they're unhappy with something (lighting, flow, rockwork being pestered). They might do better will a clown host but it's not a guarantee.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Well the tentacles look shriveled up. If you compare the two, the other one looks more or less like it did before it split. This one looks like it is slowly dying, with tentacles retracted and even some discoloration around the edges...
I would not worry about discoloration about the edges, unless it progresses. Thats how it expells some zooxanthellae, which is normal process.
Retracted tentacles can mean that it is not hungry. Which btw is consistent with expelling zooxanthellae.

In my view, this one offspring is just adjusting to its new location or living as an individual. Thats all.

· 125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you change anything in the tank right before it split? All your levels are perfect... What about your lighting setup? If you have fluorescent, do the bulbs need changing?

Nems can't break down large portions/pieces of food well, so they should be feed small pieces of meat. I feed my nem every other day to a few times a week depending on how he's looking: really expanded, long tentacles I'll feed, then next days he's not as sprawled out.

BTAs can split if they're really happy and healthy or if they're stressed out. They will also move around the tank if they're unhappy with something (lighting, flow, rockwork being pestered). They might do better will a clown host but it's not a guarantee.
Nothing changed before or after the split. My lighting is 3 AI Vega's and they seem to be working fine.

When I feed my nems, I usually unfreeze a little mysis block and turkey baster a couple pieces to both, then the rest for other corals/fish.

What gets me is that everything else, including the other half of the anemone are happy and thriving. :-/

· The Fang Blenny
1,096 Posts
Nothing changed before or after the split. My lighting is 3 AI Vega's and they seem to be working fine.

When I feed my nems, I usually unfreeze a little mysis block and turkey baster a couple pieces to both, then the rest for other corals/fish.

What gets me is that everything else, including the other half of the anemone are happy and thriving. :-/
Everything sounds fine..

+1 what igvm said, it could be expelling some zooxanthella but they'll do this to keep every thing balanced.

Considering everybody else in your tank and the history of the nem, I wouldn't worry too much and just keep an eye on it... I know how stressful it can be to just sit back and watch! Hope it starts perking up soon :)

· 125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the input!

It's been about two weeks since posting and my nem is still green and shriveled, even more so than before. The other half of the anemone is doing well but keeps moving around. The half that wasn't doing so well seems to be doing worse. More tentacles have become green and have shortened in length.

I have done my weekly water changes and retested. All params are basically the same as posted above with a slight bump in nitrate (around 10 ppm).

Any advice? :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.