The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have only just signed up for this forum so I apologise if I have posted this in the incorrect section. I have had a small marine tank before (roughly 5 years ago though) but I only had fish. Triggers and a few other predators.

I have bought a new tank that I should get in the next few weeks.

Specs are:
Size - 60x24x25
Water capacity - 160 gallons
Sump filtration - Reef Pro 3 (not sure if this is an actual name as I can't seem to find it online but I think it rated for 220 gallons from memory)
Skimmer - Aqua One G220 Protein Skimmer
Pump - Sendra 4200
Heating - 300w Jager
LED Lighting - I haven't bought this as yet because they were $1000 at my LFS and I think they are ripping me off. I have seen a few for $600 that look exactly the same online.
Dosing - Haven't bought this either but I will be when I set the tank up

My question is what would the recommendation be for stocking the tank?

I love predators and would like to get them again. Triggers are playful and like little puppies but I also want to get coral and anemones. So if I have to go with a more placid tank I will for the coral.

I am definitely not an expert so any advice would be appreciated.

Also keep in mind regarding the lighting I am in Australia so if the pricing seems weird then that would be the reason.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
my opinion is I would go with a 125 gallon which would be 6 foot long and easier to get lighting for. ALL LED LIGHTING IS NOT CREATED EQUAL. Usually LFS are selling less that suitable lighting at over inflated pricing.You have to make sure that any lighting you get is 3 watt led's and preferably Crees. Your tank will take 4-6 weeks to cycle, then only a CUC. After that you can start adding 1 med or 2 small fish at a time. Don't try a anemone for at least a year. all rushing in this hobby will do is cost you money and live stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can do about the size but I am limited for room :/ that's why I decided on the deeper 5ft tank.

Is there any brand of lighting that you would recommend that is not going to break the bank? I don't mind spending the money if it's good quality and it is exactly what I need though. There is just so much crap on the internet and I really don't know much about the LED lighting.

Yeah I wont be adding the anemones for ages. I just don't want to stock incorrectly at the beginning and find out down the track that I can't add in what I originally wanted.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The deeper tank will also make it harder to clean, but you have to work with the space you have, I went all out and bought Maxspect Razors, but there are many who have had good luck with some of the Ebay fixtures. My Maxspects were like $400 each, great light, made in America, fantastic support. And easy on the eye. I went from 2x 250 watt MH to 2 x160 Razors and I have a tankful of anemones.

http://maxspectusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=21

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
ya +1 building your own fixture is rewarding if you do a lot of :read:
Rapidled.com sells heat sinks, and a common issue with DIY is
"I wish I had bought a bigger heat sink with more space"

For fish good advice prior Holygral on adding a small couple fishes after a CUC.
Damselfish are notorious to fall into the aggressive bracket, but can be
absolute demons even towards larger predatorials or larger more cumbersome
aggressives, not to mention towards all fish.
They just have this stigma they've rightfully acquired.

A purple tang would be a very fitting fish added lastly for your desires stated.
MINION added an Emperator angelfish to his SPS tank a couple months ago
and maybe a blue face angel once he upgrades. These are larger more cumbersome fish than the purple tang and could possibly suffer injury
from it if the tank isn't big enough, but that's a worst case scenario.
The purple tang is aggressive. The Emeprator will nip at soft coral
maybe LPS, and most folks do not start out with SPS. It is not recommended.

I think the blue jaw trigger is reef safe…with caution, maybe not.

There are so many other fish that aren't so aggressive that would be beautiful in a reef setting.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Little off topic, but which would u got with for a 55 reef. Ebay 120 watt dim able LEDs two for 190$ or aquatic life 4bulb t5 ho with ato coral and blue plus bulbs for well over 300$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I will look into building my own but I really don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. In Australia everything seems to be a lot more expensive which sucks lol

I appreciate the help!

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
The Hydras are great lights, and building your own will get you exactly what you want. I have a Reefbreeders Photon over my tank and I love it. I would definitely check them out. Great, powerful, fully programmable fixtures for reasonable prices. http://reefbreeders.com/

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wouldn't put any trigger in a five foot tank. they all get big and extremely aggressive without enough room. same with tangs except for a kole or yellow.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
I think a Purple Tang and Blue Throat Trigger would be excellent choices
for the 160. However the trigger may nip at particular appetizing coral
but they do get some teeth on them. There's actually several tangs
that would be fine in there. Just don't put too much rock in, cramping free swimming room
but do make a lot of holes to dart in and out of.

There's just so much more you can do with less aggressive fish
and the options increase a lot more too. Powder Blue tangs can't
hardly be beat for a 100g or larger tank, and do not distract from
any other show fish you may want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I will have a look at those brands!

Although I do love the aggressive fish if I have to go with less aggressive to get the most out of the space and colour then I am fine with that. I think the main thing is the coral. I haven't had coral before so I want to give it a shot. So you guys would recommend not over crowding the tank with rock or is that just with the triggers/aggressive so they have more room to move?

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
...So you guys would recommend not over crowding the tank with rock or is that just with the triggers/aggressive so they have more room to move?
Get good quality porous rock, maybe some Tonga shelf rock too
here n there to make a few ledges and elevated cave floors.
You will have NO problem getting fish to call a cave home
unless the cave is too small. Should have more than a single entrance
for both flow, and safety of the fish.

Why would anybody want to waste money on rock IN the tank
that makes husbandry difficult? I have problems sometimes
with my rock being 4" from the glass, back glass included.
1#/gallon is a bit steep, excessive IMO.
People do it and it just makes cleaning the tank difficult
flow patterns difficult to control, and shades the bottom more
for those lower placed coral. Also when or if a tumble occurs
or collapse of the rock, how much would you like to fall into the glass?

You will read and hear from vendors that sell rock, that 1-2#/g is needed...

rubbish!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that's true. I was thinking 1#/gallon. I definitely don't want to over crowd it with rock. I'm going to have a look over the weekend to see the best place in Sydney is for good quality live rock.

Yeah I don't want any to fall into the glass lol that's the last thing I want.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see what I'm leaning more towards in regards to stocking the tank.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was going to go with the 120cm (roughly 4ft) would that be enough for the tank? or should I get 2 smaller ones next to each other?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts