The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:I purchased two of these from my LFS today and curious to know has anyone had a bad/good experience with them? I am reading they are a venomous fish, if they feel threaten by another fish they will bite inside of the fish mouth,semi aggresive, and let alone don't stick your hands in the tank because if they feel threaten by your hand they will bite you. I know I should do research before buying but I figured my LFS knowing him for some time wouldn't stir me wrong. I am more worried about my other fish.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Well, you already said what I would have said. Research, THEN buy. So, what are you looking for in responses? Get them out, and take them back :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would like to know if anyone had experiences with these fish because maybe what is said on line can be different than someone experience. I know they're other fish that are venomous that are being sold. Looking for anyone that had experience?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
They are a little harder to keep than most fish, I think they are ranked a 2 on the 5 point scale with 5 being the easiest, meaning they are for the more advanced hobbyist. The biting of the inside of the mouth is more for when another fish tries to eat them....one bite and they get spit out. If you have a smaller tank with any type of crowding, they could bite other fish and, depending on size of the other fish, that could be bad. Personally, I'd take them back. I am not sure on how venemous they are. I do know the book doesn't have the same line as a cone snail "If you are stung by a cone snail, you will die.", but that doesn't mean they still can't be pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UGH!! UGH!! This morning I called a LFS that I visit here/there, asked his thoughts. (I noticed not many have experience with this fish on TRT... not many responding) He said, they should be okay, but I don't think he had experience with this kind of fish. He did say they don't order them. I will have to see if my LFS would take them back as in I get the total money I spent. It stinks because I do like the way they look and act but don't like the biting part. Thanks for your input richkor.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
yeah...there is a reason you won't find a lot of experience with them. Most people will error on the side of caution and steer away from them. You may find some success in the more aggressive tanks, but I haven't seen many of those on here yet today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this lastnight with no luck, so I posted again this morning. Have you had one of these fish in the past or know someone?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Unfortunately, no....well unfortunately for answering your question...fortunately that I haven't had one. I don't of anyone who has, but do know there are some people here with more aggressive tanks who may have some experience. None of the LFS' I know of will carry them. They are listed as harder to keep than Mandarins so the success rate with them isn't very good to begin with. Really only experienced hobbyists should even try them. Add to that they venemous aspect and that really limits the number of potential buyers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I am guessing my LFS did not look into this fish or he wouldn't of had them in his store either (maybe). Pretty much they are swimming around looking for food, they don't bother anyone else in the tank nor do the other fish bother them. I fed the tank brine and mysis which I notice one of them maybe could of seen both (since they look alike)will eat then spit it out to repeat process.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that is what I'm thinking in a way. I would like to hear from someone that either had these fish or knew someone that had them. Thanks for input all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike-really I have an issue learning how to use this site so I wont be adding a photo of any kind. When I go to post on the forum I know I'm not doing it the easy way.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When you respond to a post....instead of clicking 'Post Qucik Reply' ... click 'Go Advanced'. Under Go Advanced, if you scroll down, just above where it says 'Submit Reply' 'Preview Post' for the 2nd time.....there is a button that says 'Manage Attachments'.

Click there...

Now you can add your photo by clicking 'browse' and finding your photo on your computer....When you've found it, click 'upload'.

It will not show up straight away. Once, you've finished uploading your photo, you can click close this window and finish your post. Then submit your post and you should see your photo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i think i heard fang blennies are no big deal. can't remember for sure though. i see them all the time around here. i wouldn't worry too much. most stuff in this hobby is greatly exaggerated. i'd just do more research. more google. www.liveaquaria.com is a great place for info and they list it as no big deal. i wouldn't think twice about picking one of these up actually. i was going to get this one here but i saw him scratch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fang Blenny

Hi,

I have a yellow tail fang blenny and it is a very peaceful reef fish. This fish has never come close to showing aggressive behavior. I have read that the sting is like a bee sting. If for some reason it does bite one of its reef mates, it was most likely provoked in defense of its territory and thankfully the sting is just enough to warn the fish not to go near the blenny again.

Thanks,
ReeferMan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am new to posting on this forum but to the soul worried about their canary blennies. I do extensive research before I buy a creature but I decided to try a Canary Blenny. I am so thankful I took the plunge. "He" is a beautiful addition to my reef. Yes it is only 2 1/2 years old with much trial and error but I am now successful so far. I am confident that unless I am directly trying to grab him (which I wouldn't do because he is venomous) he is no direct threat to me or my other inhabitants other than a proclivity to nab my Nassarius snail. Which I am sure is not good for the snail. Anyway I have noticed territorial pushing around but so far no extreme aggression between other inhabitants. Therefore my conclusion is it's a go. I'm a big fan of Canary blennies. One other note is that since you introduced the Blennies to your tank together they will probably cohabitate at least for the duration and you quite possibly could have a mated pair. I hope I have relieved some of your anxiety about this beautiful fish. I am truly enjoying mine.

·
Administrator
47,304 Posts
Welcome to TRT , just so you know you posted to a thread that is 8 years old.

·
Administrator
47,304 Posts
Yes it is old but the info is new and I just hope they didn't give up entirely. Thanks for the reply though.
Hard to say after all this time I have not seen any one of them around.
Over the years there are lots of fish(and coral) that used to be "difficult" that now are not so much once you know what they need.
As I have said a zillion times in the last 20 years research, research and skeptical

1 - 20 of 21 Posts