The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At present time I am running a SeaClone100. We picked this up when we decided to open up the tank again about 18 months ago. The price was right at the time but now it is just being a pill. I have replace the pump and the impeller once and just started noticing some water leaking out around the black collars that holds everything together on the large tube that makes up the skimmer.

I am looking at picking up a new Skimmer and was going to pick this up because I can just go get it and get it running. That skimmer would be Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer for up to a 65 gallon tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 7 live fish swimming around with about 20 pound on Live Rock. I don't want overkill but I also want something that going to work correctly. We have plans on adding some more life to the tank along with up to 100 pounds of live rock. Maybe not 100 pounds but I am looking at into getting 80 pounds for $80.00 today. Question is should I buy the Skimmer or should I go larger like the 125? I don't have a sump so I have to go with the HOB style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, this is the first time I think I have posted to a Forum anywhere and there isn't anyone with an option?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Well, this is a sub-sub-sub forum when only real skimmer-freaks lurk.

More live rock does not equal more benefit. After a few pounds, the benefit don't change and sometimes more rock can be a liability if you can't remove the detritus.

As for the skimmer, HOB options will result in an overpriced, under-performing skimmer. They are not as effective as their in-sump brethren and will cost more. Basically you options are the Reef Octopus HOB skimmers but I do not recommend them. Sure, they will work, but I would add a sump first as the benefits are greater.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I have a 55 with the same number of fish (though much more rock) and also have no sump. I run the Bak-Pak 2 on my tank and haven't had any issues with it. What I liked was that it was basically plug and play - very little adjusting and it was working just fine. As FutureDoc said though, HOB's just don't do the same work their in-sump counterparts do. Noiser and less effective. That said, if a sump isn't an option for you (as it's not for me) then I can say I've been happy with the job my BakPak has done for me. I just don't run it when I'm in the room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts