The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somebody please help!!! I have dreaded brown goo on my big hammer (the skeleton proly weighs about a pound) it has attacked one section of the Y and I would like to save the rest if possible! I have had this thing for over a year... and would be very sad to lose it. Has anybody had luck with saving corals from this?
BTW all the other euph.s in my tank are fine and unaffected, and I have moved the hammer into my 20 gal away from the others.
thanks for your help
kim

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
By Terry Siegel: However, if your ancora polyps begin to separate from their skeleton and water parameters are correct, or if a white or brown jelly-like substance begins to kill off the polyp tissue you must act immediately to save your coral.
If this occurs, wash away the infected area and give the coral a 1-minute freshwater bath. Be sure the temperature of the freshwater is the same as the seawater. Next, place the infected coral in fresh seawater in a separate tank with good water circulation, and do not return it to your reef until it is completely healthy.

HTH

·
Registered
658 Posts
I second what Johnny said... Brown Jelly is hard to get rid of... it killed half of my hammer colony before I could get it under control. I also found a spot on my pagoda this morning and have been nursing it...
I use a turkey baster to siphon the dead tissue off the head of the coral, and on the pagoda I've been using a soft bristle toothbrush to scrub away the tissue in the infected area (the tissue that wouldn't siphon).
I wish you luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Zoinks... I dunno if I should've replied to this thread... it must've jinxed me or something.
Woke up this moring to see that once again, my hammer had brown jelly... :(
So, after dad's day breakfast we took a trip over to PetCo and bought some Seachem Reef Dip (an iodine mix) and dipped both the hammer and the pagoda which was showing some signs of the jelly coming back.
Hopefully they'll pull through... luckily (I think) the hammer got the goo on a solitary head, where it wouldn't contaminate the rest, so I think I may be safe even if that head disintegrates...
I hope you have better luck with it than I have so far.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the store and got some iodine, and gave it a 15 min dip in it (diluted with saltwater) and washed all the yuck off... it looks a little better... maybe:(

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
Iodine is best used in cases like these, where you have definate need of an antiseptic solution (as opposed to adding it as a supplement). Spanky any thoughts on the use of UV in a case like this to curb the spread of the pathogen?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gave it it's second dip today and I can honestly say it is doing much better!!! I will have lost one arm of the "Y" shape, but it's better then losing the whole thing... I will sigh in releaf when it's over....

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had to do a second dip on the pagoda this morning. This time I also painted the infected area with iodine after siphoning off the jelly. The single hammer head disintegrated like I had predicted, so I siphoned out that tissue as well (there was no jelly present, just decaying tissue). The rest of the hammer appears to be doing well.
I attached a picture of my hammer. The light spot is the spot where the infected head used to be. Luckily it was blocked from the rest of the colony by the barnacle in the middle of the photo.
What isn't shown is the left-hand side of the colony which extends about 3" out the left side of the picture, and had died in the last brown jelly outbreak.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I finally have this under control.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.