The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well over the last week my tank has started to brown up instesd of purple up.. The sand and the glass has started to grow the nasty brown. I did a 10% water change and also added carbon in the sump. Im also in the process of removing the bio-balls from the sump slowly. And I forgot tragedy struck 1 week ago and my starfish (RIP) died and the clean up crew is not working to it fullest. and one other thing my skimmer is junk and every time I clean it, it stops skimming good? the cleaner it is the worse it works??:doh:

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have to ask how long hads the tank been set up. I also think that taking the bio balls are good. but if You took them out and then started getting the brown algae . It may just be an adjustment to the tank and cycno. just like a cycle. Will settle down soon.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has been set up a little over a year. I started to see the algae just after my star fish went missing? I thought about adding another starfish to help clean up. As for the removing the bio balls its been about 10 so far total.. I'm removing about 2 every couple days.. nice and slow. since I added more carbon will that help as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts