The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I wake up this morning after recovering from a crappy work day where I got punched in the face by a dam thief I was arresting. I also found out no promotion for me for at least a year. Anyhow, I get up this morning and switch on my light and.......................nothing. So I tear it apart and think that maybe its the starter. Nope. I then decide to test to see where the power begins and ends. I get power past the switch past the starter and straight to the ballast. So the ballast that always ran too hot in the first place went to shyte.

SOooooooooOOOOOoooo I am not happy. So luckily on my terrarium I have a 12 inch Jalli dual 13 watt compact light. Now I have this light on my tank. So here's where I am...

SHOULD I LEAVE THIS NEW LIGHT ON OR WHAT CAN I BUY TO UPGRADE? I refuse to do any electrical wiring because of bad luck in the past (another story). The tank is only 12" wide.

I will get horrible coloration on my corals with such low lighting as of now.

HELP. Here's pics of the crap hood and my temp setup.

Crap hood>

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i think you will need more light. that plate coral will need more than those 2 13watters. do you know what K those bulbs are. they look like a decent spectrum, just a little shy on the umph. if you could HD sells Lights of America PC lights for $30. they use a 6.5K bulb in it. i think it is a 65w bulb. i do not remeber.:( i have one on my refugium. it comes in white only, but i have painted it. it is not the nicest looking thing, but it works great. i do not know if this will be to much light or not for your colts. hopefully i have said something to tickle or annoy somebody, and they will pipe up.

G~

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone knows a brand name for a complete hood setup of either pc or mh bulbs that will fit a 12" wide tank.

·
Administrator
47,637 Posts
Is that the 7 bow, I don't know that anyone makes a reef worthy hood for that, tho personally I think a 100 watt 10K with an actinic would be sweet. I think the top would have to have trick louvers and a remote fan setup ducted to the back side, maybe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent a good deal of time today looking on the net.

Here are my options:

- Leave the Jalli 2 x 13 watt
- 1 x 32 watt retro (I will need a hood)
- 2 x 27 retro ( Hood plus wiring UGH)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have a 32 watt retro if your interested in it. Just let me know if it will help

Jeff

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Buddha,

Where are you a Police Officer? I am a PO in Massachusetts! I feel your pain brother!

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I think later on I'm gonna do the twin 27 with some help.

SteveJess2000- I work for another organization. I work clandestine operations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts