The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my mom was admitted to the hospital with failing kidneys and a badly damaged liver. The suspect...alcohol. My family knew that there was a problem, and never did anything about it. She didn't call into work Tuesday, and a concerned coworker called the police, who in turn had to kick the front door of my mom's house in. The "small" problem we thought she had, turned into a woman laying on the couch, barely alive, covered in every bodily waste and blood imaginable. A very clean and professional lady was about to die, and she didn't even know it. Her house looked like hell, dirty clothes everywhere, food pulled out of the fridge and cupboards ( she was delusional, and looking for something to eat). The hospital took Blood Alcohol levels 3 hours after she got there, and it was a mind blowing 1.4%. No typo there, that's 15 times the legal driving limit of .08%. Your average joe that has a beer once or twice a week would be dead at that level.
24 horus later and there is a little light on the horizon. The doctors think her body will recover at least 80% of normality, but there are a few months ahead she will not be looking forward to...she's still at a .056%....that's coma for most of us, and she's able to communicate. If anyone out there suspects even a little bit that a family member or friend has any type of chemical problem; drug, alcohol, depression, take action now. 12 more hours and I'd be planning my mom's funeral instead of her recovery.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I hope your mother recovers and is willing to seek help. I'm sorry that you have to go through this and my prayers and thoughts go out to you, your Mom and all of your family.

Don't be too hard on yourself; there are alcoholics out there that are *very* good at hiding what they do and that are able to function better than most people would think. It always seems to catch up to them in some fashion though; I'm glad your Mom has a fighting chance.

Alice

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I truely hope that she pulls through. I don't always understand us, humans, but sometimes it takes things like this to open our own eyes.

Be there to support your mom and your TRT/TCMAS family will be here for you.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to help your mom and that she is on her way back to a slow recovery!

She will need your support even more now and hopefully she will get the professional help she needs!

I lost an Aunt to this terrible disease!:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts