The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Dave, I live in Forest Lake, MN, and I'm new to the reef tank hobby.

At one time, I had a nice SW "fish" tank set up. Due to the wife's dislike for the tank - I got rid of it 10+ years ago. Now she's gone (divorce)...so, I just bought an established 65 gallon reef set-up that includes a 25 gallon filtration tank, a protein skimmer, 2 powerheads (1 bad), all plumbing with shutoff valves, lights, heater, live rock and live sand. No livestock is included.

I plan to pick up the unit on Thursday afternoon. I'll try to post some pics once I get it back up.

I'm really looking forward to the joys, and the challenges of the hobby. Hopefully you won't mind if I ask some basic questions along the way. :confused:

I already have a few though...

How much of the existing water should I try to transport? As much as possible?

Should I buy new medium grade "live sand", or, use what's already in the tank?

The current owner says that one of the powerheads just failed. Should I replace both of them? Just the bad one? What size and brand should I replace them with?

Thanks in advance:) ,
Dave

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
First of all welcome to TRT

Now on to some answers.
You are going to want to replace the sand. During transport there is a good chance that alot of the stuff in the sand will die and that can cause severe problems with the tank.

For the water I personally think that 20 gallons should be sufficient if any at all. The rest should be some good old pre mixed water from a pet store.
Also you are going to want to keep the live rock in some type of holding bins that have tank water in them. That way you do not have to deal with die off on the live rock.
As for the power head, just replace the bad one for now. Unless the other one has been up and running for a couple of years already, because it would be nearing the end of its life.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
:wavey::banana: welcome to TRT!, do everything BG said, your on the right path, are you planning a reef tank? meaning do you want corals in the tank as well?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BGJ223 said:
First of all welcome to TRT

Now on to some answers.
You are going to want to replace the sand. During transport there is a good chance that alot of the stuff in the sand will die and that can cause severe problems with the tank.

For the water I personally think that 20 gallons should be sufficient if any at all. The rest should be some good old pre mixed water from a pet store.
Also you are going to want to keep the live rock in some type of holding bins that have tank water in them. That way you do not have to deal with die off on the live rock.
As for the power head, just replace the bad one for now. Unless the other one has been up and running for a couple of years already, because it would be nearing the end of its life.

Hope that helps.
Thanks BGJ.

I've found a local shop that has pre-mixed at 79 cents a gallon. How much live sand should I get for a 65?

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
HEllo there Dobbs,

I am new aswell to the hobby. Im 28 and always wanted a reef tank ever since a kid. The secret I found was lurking the forums for info and finding some one local to help you out. One thing I noticed \, people here are more than happy to help you out. Have fun and take it slow.. L:)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
[For the water I personally think that 20 gallons should be sufficient if any at all. ]

I agree. The nitrifying bacteria exist not so much in the water, but attached to surfaces such as bio balls or in live rock/ and. The bacteria in the water you are killing with ur UV (if u have 1)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
dobbs said:
Hello all,

My name is Dave, I live in Forest Lake, MN, and I'm new to the reef tank hobby.

At one time, I had a nice SW "fish" tank set up. Due to the wife's dislike for the tank - I got rid of it 10+ years ago. Now she's gone (divorce)...so, I just bought an established 65 gallon reef set-up that includes a 25 gallon filtration tank, a protein skimmer, 2 powerheads (1 bad), all plumbing with shutoff valves, lights, heater, live rock and live sand. No livestock is included.

I plan to pick up the unit on Thursday afternoon. I'll try to post some pics once I get it back up.

I'm really looking forward to the joys, and the challenges of the hobby. Hopefully you won't mind if I ask some basic questions along the way. :confused:

I already have a few though...

How much of the existing water should I try to transport? As much as possible?

Should I buy new medium grade "live sand", or, use what's already in the tank?

The current owner says that one of the powerheads just failed. Should I replace both of them? Just the bad one? What size and brand should I replace them with?

What lights ya got? if ya want coral/ photosynthetic inverts you need pcs or metal halides.:p

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zxcv123 said:
[For the water I personally think that 20 gallons should be sufficient if any at all. ]

I agree. The nitrifying bacteria exist not so much in the water, but attached to surfaces such as bio balls or in live rock/ and. The bacteria in the water you are killing with ur UV (if u have 1)
Sounds good. I'm assuming that the UV is a UV light. If so, I'm not sure if one is included. Do I, or will I need one?

Dave

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
not relly, but having one will reduce algae groth and in some cases can slow down the spread of fish diseases.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
but SURE NOT TO clean the filtration tank because all the bacteria in there could be lost. keep conditions in the filter damp or fill it partially w/ water for transportation. (from the tank.) Whats in it?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yes dobbs, thats what i was getting at, if your gonna want corals and such, try to find out what kinda lights you have now, and maybe thing about budgeting that in later if you dont have great lights, if he had corals before, chances are your getting some good ones.

·
Registered
163 Posts
welcome to TRT.... i have been lurking on this forum for a few months now, asking a few questions when i need to, but mostly just reading posts. you have no idea how much i've been able to learn. my best advice would be to snoop around the site and read, read, read. the people here know sooooo much, and if they can't answer your question, they can almost always point you in the right direction by providing usefull links. take your time, don't rush things and ALWAYS ask/ read BEFORE you buy. everyone will try to help you avoid making some of the mistakes that we have already made. much peace !!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Welcome Dave.
as you can tell everyone will beglad to help you out..
check with your LFS to see if they can house the corals and stuff until you can get the tank back up and running smoothly. try and keep the LR wet if possible, does nto have to be submirged , but wet. if you are going wihtteh sand try and get a picture of it before it gets messed up. do you know how long it was in the tank?.
a DSB is usally around 3-6 inches. if possible get some PVC piping and cut it so you can place the LR on it, if possible ( not a must) have the LR off of the sand, this will trap dirtious ( excess food/ poop) and you can have some not nice algae growth.
if you dont want to use the power heads think about a cls closed loop system. this canbe a few differnt ways to run it.
also a good read is the FAQ section here , there are two articles , one on sumps and one on a reef tank. bothwill give you idea's , answer questions, and make you ask yourself a few too..

enjoy you new love, (again)
:beer:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
dobbs said:
Thanks BGJ.

I've found a local shop that has pre-mixed at 79 cents a gallon. How much live sand should I get for a 65?

Dave
Well the amount of sand that you want is going to be quite the debate. Some people think deep sand band, some think shallow sand bed, and some think no sand bed.
In my personal opinion I think that you should go with at the very least 40 - 60 lbs of sand. Also you might not want to do the crushed coral, it can be quite the pain to clean.

I am currently running 2 tanks, one with a shallow sand bed, and the other with a deep sand bed. Still trying to decide which I like more aesthetically (spelling), but they both function very well.

So this probably will not help you decide on an amount of sand, but hopefully it will get you in the right direction for research.

Now everyone else chime in with what you think as far as amount of sand goes, I am kinda curious as to what people think.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

some good advice so far!

when transporting everything, do not worry to much about keeping the LR wet. it will survive with no ill effects for 24 hours dry in a covered bucket. what you need to pay attention to is what the orientation of the LR is when it is in the tank. do not flip them upside down when putting them back into the tank after the move. this disrupts the critters living there. some do not like the light and others do, if you get them topsy turvey they will die and cause a cycling of the tank. if the LR is kept in their correct orientation than there will be a minimum amount of cycling assuming you replace the SB with a new one.

G~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts