The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I lied, I do not have whozits and whatzits galore but I love The Little Mermaid and thought it fitting to break the ice :-D

Here's my issue:

My protein skimmer is an "Aqua Euro USA Single Hang on Back Protein Skimmer" and the skimmer cup CONSTANTLY fills with water, sometimes overflowing. This morning I woke up to a slight film on top of my water and my nitrates were ~80 yesterday when I checked (I have the drops/tube tester).

What I've done:

A month ago I took it completely a part cleaned everything, made sure there was no blockage and still the overflowing issue came back almost immediately.

History of the tank:

It is a tall 20 gallon hand-me-down from my sister. I have a Clown fish, a purple fire fish goby, a six line wrasse, kenya trees and candy cane coral. The tank and skimmer are only a year old.

Conclusion:

What in the world is wrong with my skimmer and how do I fix it?

Thanks for reading and hopefully I can get this thing fixed!!

Best,
Christin

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT! If yours is like my HOB protein skimmer you should be able to adjust the height of the collection cup. The further down it is the wetter the skim. The further up it is the thicker/darker the skim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ChiWing! I have it up as high as it will go. When I go home on my lunch break I'll take a picture and post it.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Sounds good! I think you need 5 posts before you can post pictures, so you might have to just do a couple random posts. You also might want to post in the Equipment/Skimmer section. Someone that has your model is more likely to sees it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts