The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the hobby and came across this site, and man am I glad I did! I've already learned tons just from reading your past conversations and doing searches for certain things. So thank you already! :agree:

Basically I've wanted to start a salt water tank for years but just haven't. But I don't want to be able to say that anymore. :) So my thought is that since I don't have a ton of money to throw at this hobby right now, that I'd start small, keep an eye out for a great deal on a larger tank, and upgrade somewhere in the future.

Right now I just have a 20g tank and a heater that I think works. I've looked around at filters, thinking of getting an Emperor 280. Other than that I'm undecided. So any suggestions that might help get me started would be great!

From what I've gathered, it sounds like its best to start with just sand and rock, let it cycle, and add from there. What are some good sand and rock suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah

Yeah you are new like me. I have a 20 g FW but ended up getting a new 90 gallon RR that is cycling right now. The hobby is overwhelming but seems to be fun too. People on this website are so nice!
:)
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deathmatch782 said:
Welcome!!!

For rock if you can, Marshall Island is very good.
Yea, I've read that a couple places now, do you know a good place to get it?

I went into a LFS and their rock was anywhere from $10# to $15# and they said they didn't know what kind it was, that it could've come from anywhere.:confused:

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Be careful when you're thinking about money. I was told that it didn't cost that much either. I have a 29 gallon tank. Now, about a year later, I've spent almost 2000 bucks. It's a spending hobby, but the enjoyment you get out of it is awesome. Best 2g's I've ever spent.

luke

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
if your looking for rocks for cheap this is a good site....www.hirocks.com but its all base rock, you would still need a couple pounds or live rock to make it all live rock

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is_that_a_fish said:
if your looking for rocks for cheap this is a good site....www.hirocks.com but its all base rock, you would still need a couple pounds or live rock to make it all live rock
So, you just place the base rock around the live rock and in time it'll make it live? Very cool...

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
yup...but it takes a while....but then again its very cheap with the same effects.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Tell me about it. I started with a 40g, now I have a 220g, a 135, a 40 frag tank, a 12g nano, and a 125, 44, and 55 sitting in the garage. Which reminds me, I have a 44 corner, and a 55 if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
this place sucks, ordered from there and the pieces weighed like 20pounds a piece, all were just big thick boulders. reeferrocks is the way to go from what a few other locals say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you guys and gals think about skimmers? Are they necessary for a smaller tank? Guy at a LFS said that you really don't need one but that once you do you have to keep using it for good.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
depends on what you are putting in them. My 7 gallon at work only has a carbon filter. I have a cleaner shrinp, tiny percula clown and a Randall's goby with a pistol shrimp. The carbon and regular water changes keep it looking great.

As for live rock, see if anyone in here has some for sale. I think I have probably a few pounds and some mushrooms.

·
Registered
609 Posts
JnS said:
this place sucks, ordered from there and the pieces weighed like 20pounds a piece, all were just big thick boulders. reeferrocks is the way to go from what a few other locals say.
Like Jerry said, www.reeferrocks.com by far one of my smarter purchases. I believe it was less than $2.50 a # shipped to my door. Just seed it with a couple pieces of live rock and you are in business.
Give Captain Jer a call and he will help you out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hink said:
Like Jerry said, www.reeferrocks.com by far one of my smarter purchases. I believe it was less than $2.50 a # shipped to my door. Just seed it with a couple pieces of live rock and you are in business.
Give Captain Jer a call and he will help you out.
Thanks guys, this stuff looks good. Say I get 20-30#, how much live rock would I need to seed it?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts