The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 90 gallon tank a few months back. The tank is doing great. I'm very happy with it. In the process, I got myself a pair of Ocellaris Clowns (Tank raised). They tend to just stay in one spot.

Here are my questions for you tank experts:

1) How can I encourage my Clowns to move around the tank a bit more?

2) Just bought them a bubble anemone. Is there a way to speed up the process or help the process of them hosting with this anemone? I have done my share of searching. I know that this is not the best anemone out there for the Ocellaris but the carpet anemone seems to be too big of a headache (too aggressive and can harm lots of things in the tank). I was thinking about getting a Ritteri Anemone for the Clowns. My understanding is that they are a better host for the Ocellaris. Any suggestions?

By the way, thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Arbi

P.S. Pictures of my tank will follow in the next few weeks. I just got rid of my Digital Camera and I'm in the process of purchasing a new one. I was not too happy with my Canon S230. I'm looking into purchasing an Olympus C-5050. What do you photo experts use? Also, I'm planning to take the new camera underwater (Scuba Diving). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
290 Posts
ArbiMassihians said:

1) How can I encourage my Clowns to move around the tank a bit more?
Mine took a month or so they are kinda shy. I have gone thru mmmmm 5 different anemones and they never went for one. They instead sleep behind the overflow. Long and the short of it is they may never take to the anemone so dont be disappointed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my clowns gets very close to the overflow as well. I'm afraid that I'll find him/her in the sock filter one morning. That's why I purchased the bubble anemone hoping they will host and I can go to sleep at nights thinking they are in a safe place. I might buy a Ritteri today and see if they host with this anemone. Is it safe to have the two different type of anemone near one another?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!

:wavey:

before you go and get another anemone, what kind of lighting do you have? anemone's are very difficult to keep long term. i would do a search for anemone here and read as much as you can. they require very intense lighting.

hth,

G~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Compact. Fermosa Deluxe 2x96watt. The bubble anemone seems to be doing well. I know the lighting is too low for clams and hard corels but my LFS who I purchased the entire tank and parts from said it would be fine with the setup I have. Then again, I'm sure they would not want to turn away a possible sale. I do see your point. I think I will wait a bit. It is just that I feel so bad for the poor things. I want to give them what they need. This is when I tell myself "I wish I could read their mind or communicate with them".

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
ummm....errrrr what Geoff said... Seems he types faster than I.

Bear in mind the Clowns may never host in an anemone. Theres a bunch of stories of the little boogers hosting in anything from overflows to powerheads to open brain corals.

We aren't picking by any stretch!!! Just trying to help you out and trying to keep you from possible wasting $$!!!

WELCOME TO TRT!!!!!!!!!!!:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :banana: :banana: :wavey:

Man, I just loooooooooooooooooove the new smileys!!! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank Jimmer. I have to agree with everyone here. I just wanted to give them an Ideal environment to live in. Time will tell. I guess I just have to be patient and keep checking the filter sock in the mornings.

Oh, and as far as the new smileys ... Yes, they are great!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!!

As far as a host for your clowns. I got a carpet for mine and lost one to it. The other one has decided it likes my open brain and really doesn't leave it unless it's feeding time.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Cool! New smilies!

Erm, anyway, I agree with the above. I have a gold-striped maroon clown hosting with a patch of Xenia at the moment. I find that once they pick a host, they don't explore the tank near as much.

Personally, I'm anti-anemone, but that's just me. (I swear that there's just too much luck involved. That, and they're too unpredictable for my tastes.)

Your lighting is on the low side... (anemones are high-light critters.) You might be able to feed it - try chunks of raw shrimp or make some blender mush. That would help.

Danielle

PS. When you say "not enough light for hard corals" do you mean all hard corals? I'd agree that it's not enough for SPS, but you could swing some LPSs with that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.