The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,

I've been lurking on TRT for several months now reading everything i can find written by geoff, spanky, and several other members who are worth mentioning, but whos names escape me currently and I feel more or less ready to start my endeavor into reef keeping. Its probably time to introduce myself before i start asking too many questions (hopefully not).

My names Sean, I'm Canadian born and raised, but currently living in northern Washington state. I will be moving to Vancouver BC shortly however I spend a great deal of time in Washington and will likely continue to do so

I have previous experience with freshwater fish keeping, specifically African Cichlids (mostly Mbuna), I currently maintain a 75 gallon Cichlid tank.

i recently set up a 29 gallon bare bottom salt water tank (my first SW) planning to keep LPS and some SPS; though that may tip towards more SPS. It's been set up since the 8th of April, no livestock yet aside from hitchhikers on the couple pieces of LR in the tank. ill see if I can figure out how to upload a photo of the tank in a moment.

- Sean

·
Banned
959 Posts
Hey SeanJ- nice!

I also transitioned from African Cichlids to Saltwater, and I am LOVING it! Its definitely harder (Corals can't take the 7 day power outages that Cichlids can :lol:) but its such a different experience!

I see there are some worm-looking hitchhikers in the tank. Think you can get us a closer look?

What lighting is that? You need to make sure it can support SPS :)

Welcome to TRT!

~Harry

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would be happy to get you some closer photos, specifically where are you seeing possible worms? I've seen what i believe are brittle stars and copepods to an extent but im not sure I've seen any worms, where in the photo are you referring to?

as far as tank specs goes:
29 gallon tall fluval tank
cpr bak pak 2r+ (no bio bale) with accela pump (266 gph) skimming wet
fluval c3 power filter (just running polyester, replaced daily)
1 sicce xstream 925 gph wave pump (aimed through rock 'tunnel')
1 sicce xstream 1320 gph wave pump (pointed at skimmer intake)
fluval m24 25W marine and reef led
aquatic life dual 24W t5 with one 420 actinic and one 10000k (i have blue actinic bulbs as spares, wondering if i should switch out the 10000k for one of them, let me know what you guys think)
pvc rock "tunnel" (will post pics)

water parameters:
nh3/nh4 - BTR (below testable range) test bottoms out at .1 ppm
no2 - BTR test bottoms out at .1 ppm
no3 - BTR test bottoms out at 5 ppm, colour matches the 'zero' square
ph - 8.3-8.5
po4 - BTR (I'm not fooled)
Mg - 1360 ppm
alkalinity - 3.1 Meq/l 8.7 dKH
Ca - 410 ppm
am i missing anything?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, is there a way i can upload photos larger than 2 MB? preferably without linking out to photobucket or whatever. i need to turn my cameras image capture settings way down to keep it small enough so it lets me upload it

edit for 'rock tunnel' pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny enough harry;
I haven't really transitioned to saltwater; I picked it up in addition. I have the 75 gallon Cichlid tank set up on the opposite wall from the nearly 1 month old saltwater tank, both in my bedroom. I find it calming. I have a history of taking hobbies a little seriously.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I didn't mean to suggest you didn't; I have had a 300 gallon Brackish Cichlid tank for years, and I still love(d) them!
sounds great! do you have any photos?
opinion on lighting and water parameters and such that i posted?

edit:
I just thought about the 7 day power outage thing, growing up in calgary (alberta) for the most part I cant say I've ever experienced anything remotely that bad as far as power outages are concerned. we just had to deal with snow and freezing temperatures (like -10 to -30 Celsius) for roughly 8 months of the year. no earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc just cold and snow.
how were your cichlids after that? what was the situation?

·
Banned
959 Posts
thats a very interesting cabinet/stand/canopy. I like it.
got rid of it to make room for more salty water?
I actually had it running for years and years until about a week ago when a heater failed.... :(

Edit:

Killed EVERYTHING- the tank was 90+ degrees. Im not sure what to do now; I had a huge salt build in the works but now I'm frozen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.