The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! It has been awhile, been real crazy at work haven posted in like months. I have a serious case of ich. My sailfin tang, the boss of the tank, is the worst I have ever seen him. I have lost 2 fish already. I am contimplating coppering the entire tank toi save my sailfin and other tangs. What damage will it do? I know my corals will die as well as my inverts, but I don't have much coral left only small polyps. I will have to yank them out as well as my inverts right? Will copper kill my live rock too? I am lost of what to do. please help

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
why not just take him out and use a quarantine tank??

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Definately go qt. You can make one out of bucket and powerhead if you dont have an empty tank, beats losing the corals and you will never be able to put corals or inverts in the tank again!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Plus remember as much as we hate to see a fish die.......he is only ~ $50 not ~$1000 and worth killing others at his saving if it even works!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I qt the other two fish, and they didn't make it, just have no luck w/ qt my fish.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
AdamG said:
I qt the other two fish, and they didn't make it, just have no luck w/ qt my fish.
I would still try with this one. Do you have water change water made up? If so, do a water change and use the water you take out to fill up your QT. That way, you don't have to worry about adjusting anything. What chemicals are you using to treat the ich?

Finally, try to get him into the QT as quickly and quietly as possible. The stress of netting a fish often exaserbates the problem.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using kick ich, and just ran out of galic extreme, which has always worked. The shop is out to. I been tring to gert the galic extreme just haven't found any. Any suggestions?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
instead of using a bucket its easier to just run down to wally world and pickup a 10 gallon for 10 bucks. But if hes huge then that might not work. In my opinion kick ick isnt very good. Try and find a copper based medication. Good luck

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Well, great to see you posting again bro! But, very sorry to hear about the ich dilemma. Hope the fish pull through. Are there any stores in a near by town that might carry the kick ick and garlic extreme for you?

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I Agree, go down and buy a tank, fill it with display tank water, and copper it!! Good luck...sorry for your loses:(

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
110galreef said:
Plus remember as much as we hate to see a fish die.......he is only ~ $50 not ~$1000 and worth killing others at his saving if it even works!
I can't Weigh in on the ICK but this statement makes sense to me.

I think I would look to a 10 or 20 gallon med tank.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sup Jeremy, I am tring to get the galic exteme at another local shop now. It has always worked in the past. thanks for all the advice everyone. I will try the qt again, hope I have luck this time

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one more question, would any garlic extract work in the tank as a garlic additive, I bought a garlic supplement from a local vitamin shop. It says that it is just garlic and water, what do ya think? It says water and residual alcohol from extraction as other ingredients besides garlic.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
there no real proof about the garlic, it might not hurt .. also keep an eye out for post infections. leave the main display empty of ALL fish for at least a month.
once you have him or everyone in the QT tank, you can also give the hyposalinity a try too. this has worked nicly with other members

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
125 gallon and I lost 2 fish so I introduced another tang a sohal tang. I think that stressed him out. He is looking better today. The garlic may have helped a little. Water change today and more garlic and we will see what happens

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
there are a few products out there that claim to be invert and coral safe
i havent tried any so i cant tell ya if they work, but i ordered one product "just in case" i get an ich outbreak
its called Kick Ich

one site tested this and other products on xenia and it had no ill effects
heres the link to the tested products

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/sp/index.php

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Glad to hear the fish is doing better Adam!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Biglots has a 24qt clear bucket with blue lid, easy to cut a slot for smaller powerhead and airline. Clear enough to get light but dark enough to be effective. less then 6 bucks, 14.99 powerhead from LFS, 9 dollar airpump.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts