The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day

I have a Juvinile Emperor Anglefish that has developed HLLE. His face has deteriorated as well as the Lateral line down his body. This has been progressing over last month and have had him for approximately 6 months.

I will post water parameters when i get home but just installed a sump and upgraded skimmer to tank. I will say my tank maintenance slacked a little due to work load and being away but if i remember correctly the parameters were all good.(except phospates was high)

I have been feeding him Flake Prime Reef and Brine Shrimp plus with some Formula two every other day. On the off days i feed combination frozen Mysis or brine or krill and angelfish butterfly food. I havent suplemented with any nori or dried seaweed but thought i was giving him what he needed nutritionally. I am looking for suggestions on what could cause this

Darren

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Not only that but is your tank grounded?if not you should.they done studies on laterial line and gronding the water helps heals it.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
HLLE is usually a sign of lack of nutrition. I would start feeding him some Nori with some vitamins such as selcon.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
right or wrong good or bad. I feed nori to my rabbitfish.... I keep some of the purple, red, brown, and green sea weed to keep as vaired as possible as each one has different nutritional value from the other. I just round-robin each day between the different ones. Since he will also eat the mysis, I don't bother soaking the nori with vitamins or selcon and just soak the mysis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nutrition is important to help get rid of HLLE, but water conditions are the most important. Nirates should be less than 10ppm to see any improvement. The grounding probe is also a neccessity when taking care of angels. Some water changes and angel formulas should help greatly. Oh, and use selcon or Kent Zoe with your foods too.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Irenicus said:
I believe Emperors also need sponge in their diet. You should be rotating in some angel formula.

This is very important :agree:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been feeding the Angel and butteryfly frozen food everyother day. The only thing i could thing of that i hadnt been supplementing diet was nori/seaweed. I picked up a different Angel food and will try that.
My tank isnt grounded and maybe someone could explain it to me as i may be missing something within my head.

darren

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Stray voltage in the tank suppossedly can cuase it. I would have to believe though this is not the norm and most cases the root cause is diet or water quality.

If you do try a grounding probe be sure to use a gfci circuit in conjunction or it's virtually useless. There is an article Redwinger posted a while back that explains it beautifully. Do a search in our forum to find the article....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts