The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about putting 1 heater inside each of the corners where the water flow over into for the wet/dry, do you think it would keep the right amount of heat? I wanted to do it so you couldn't see the heaters @ all.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if yo udont want the heaters to be seen, put them right in the wet dry. as long as they are somewhere where water is moving past them, it wi ldo the job its supposed to do. if you dont have room in the wet dry, i would place them in the tank, near to the return line, that way the return water is flowing near the heater. gives better circulation of the heated water, and avoids dead spots, gives a more stabile temp throughout the tank, etc..

notice, in the pic, my heater is right in the bottom of my wet dry and right in front of the return pump inlet. i now have it along the front wall of the wetdry, but it serves the same purpose, water movement over the heater.

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
I think just before the return as Jay pictures is good, tho I find in larger systems a few smaller units spread out work well, and less chance of damage if it sticks open

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yeah i actually have two heaters in the sump now doug. one on the front wall and one on the back wall. set one degree apart from each other. i never see eitehr light on for more than 5 or 10 seconds at a time. and they'll back each other up, if one should fail in the off position..

now if one or both fails in the on position.. whew, i guess i'm in trouble then! btw: mine are both 150 watt

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh yeah, balls have been coming out since i did the first water change. i have been removing a handfull with each change. there is now about 2 handfuls left. compared to the 2 gallons worth that was in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts