The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a eheim jager 100w for my new tank. For some reason the dial doesnt go above 83 degrees and the box clearly states it can go up to 93 degrees. My water has been heating up at 83 degrees for a good 24 hours and my water temperature is only at 73-74 degrees. The ambient air temp in my basement where im keeping the tank is only 63-65. Is there a way i can get my heater above that? im thinking its a safety lock or something. I need my water to be 78-80 degrees.

·
Banned
283 Posts
i bought a eheim jager 100w for my new tank. For some reason the dial doesnt go above 83 degrees and the box clearly states it can go up to 93 degrees. My water has been heating up at 83 degrees for a good 24 hours and my water temperature is only at 73-74 degrees. The ambient air temp in my basement where im keeping the tank is only 63-65. Is there a way i can get my heater above that? im thinking its a safety lock or something. I need my water to be 78-80 degrees.
am a bit confused you say your water is heating up to 83 which might be a bit high should be 78-80 yet your temp is 73-74

is the heater the right one for the size of tank
how long has your heater been running does take a while for it to come up to temp the bigger the tank mine took 3 days before it reached the right temp

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Most heaters seem to be rated for tanks such that they are raising and maintaining the temp of a range of water volume by 7-10°.
If your tank is bigger than the recommended volume or your room starts out below room temperature, you need to size up accordingly.
The claim that it heated higher than the dial allows makes me think someone may have been swapping products around, and you may be able to return it as different than labeled.
If the tank is 55 gallon or more, or longer than 30", I'd recommend doing two heaters (one at each end), especially in a cooler room. That way, if one goes out, the water temp wouldn't plummet before you could find a replacement.

In the short term, if you can raise the temp of the room, even just for a couple days, once the water is warm, it will take less energy to maintain than it does to get it up to start with. You can also do your water changes (or top offs) with warmer water, but not so warm that you significantly change the temperature suddenly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I remember an old rule of thumb that says you need 3-5 watts per gallon to raise the temperature 10 degrees above the ambient room temperature. Taking the conservative end, that means if you have a 20 gallon tank (20x5=100watts), you can expect 73 - 75 degrees max temperature given your room is 63-65. If you have a larger tank expect it to be even lower than that. And let's not forget some thermometers are more accurate than others.

+1 on two heaters for larger tanks. More expensive but safer (if one either fails off or fails on in addition to more even heating.)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Don't know the size of your tank but,I'd say you need a bigger heater and keep that in and have it for a back up in case your new one quits!You should also buy a controller so if heater sticks on and it will keep it from boiling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts