The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, who doesn't have a chiller in this heat and what's your story so far? I'm sans-chiller, but the display is on its way out with just a few fish in it, nothing more. The prop system is in an A/C'd room with all remaining livestock. This heat though does make me wonder who's learning tough lessons.

When I was selling and propping, I learned the hardest lesson by investing more in my inventory than I did in the facilities to support that inventory...i.e..I spent money on livestock that should have gone towards a chiller....or an A/C. Like a true idiot...I learned the hard way and in two days lost thousands in livestock when a heat wave hit that could have been avoided by a $300 A/C....my stupidity. I got the A/C...but three days later was too late for me and the reef life.

Chillers should be REQUIRED. But more often than not they are left out of the equation or deprioritized by fools such as I...

Really, you can't put a price on peace of mind. However...now that i think about it even with a chiller on duty, I'd worry about error prevention and redundancy...:p

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Last heat wave, my tank hit 87+. Luckily I only lost one head on a new frogspawn I'd just put in the tank. I'm now armed with a 1/4hp PCI chiller. Tank stays at 80 now even with the 100+ weather we've been having. Installation of a couple good PC fans I got from Fry's has also helped tremendously.

·
Registered
179 Posts
those T5s and a nice air conditioned home is keeping the tank cool at 80 deg 24/7

it's going to be an interesting month on the electric bill...

Anyone impacted by the power outage?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am really glad I purchased a chiller last winter. Got a deal on a used one. I have not had to worry about my tank temp at all this summer. Last year I did not have one and I was always worried everytime we had a heat wave. Always making sure the tank did not over heat.

I have two temp controllers. One turns on the Fan at 81, the other turns on the chiller at 82.

AC said:
Anyone impacted by the power outage?
Ya, We had power out this moring at 6:30am. I woke up when the AC turned off. Could not go back to sleep, kept thinking about the tank.

Theron

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was away camping this last weekend and my tank was pretty hot when I got home sunday. The first thing I did was check the temp when I walked in the door. The second was go buy some ice blocks at 7-11. The tank was 92 degrees!!:bigeek: It was down to 83 degrees when I went to work today. So far I have a wrasse MIA and I think my frogspawn is going to die. The rest of the corals look a little ticked but not too bad. We'll see over the next few days. I was supposed to get a window AC but the guy backed out who was selling it. We'll see how everything does.

-Dave

·
Registered
526 Posts
No Chiller - Large A/C unit - So far all is OK, with the exception of my PGE bill. My tank temp. hit 84 degrees for a short period of time prior to re-installing an A/C unit in our place. Currently the temp is 78-80 with the lights on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts