The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be setting my tank up again and have a quick question:

Does or do you think (4) 24" T5's (like a Nova or Tek fixture) put out as much heat as a 250w single ended bulb in a "cool guy reflector" or the new SLS pendant? I am trying to decide on my new light since my enclosed canopy setup looks like crap and I fear it will get to warm.

Btw; has anyone purchased on of the new SLS reflectors yet?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I had 5 T5s on a 36" tank for about a year. They do run slightly hotter than VHOs but not a whole bunch more. If you have heat concerns with 250w MH, T5s will definately be more managable. My tank was located in the basement to that helps. It was very easy to keep tank temps at 80 with low quiet cfm fans for a little air movement in a canopy. Tank did have glass covers too. Using a fixture and being able to raise and lower the lights I doubt you will have any heat issues.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Yes it was an icecap and the heat was not a real issue.

Fritz was kind enough to add my UV lighting T5 bulbs to his order. I think he has ordered them so hoping sometime next week. Getting anxious to see, some reports are starting to come out from users but getting mixed results I think mainly from the people that never really used URI brand VHOs before to really compare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts