The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ughhhh...I just TOTALLY fried a pizza in the oven because I never heard the buzzer!

I've had my hearing checked and there are certain frequencies that are totally gone. The doc said that digital hearing aids would work but I should "try to put them off as long as possible because I won't like it"

Another one is the clicking from directionals in a car. That sound is totally gone.

I don't need convincing...I'm going to continue to put this off as long as possible...but I just need to rant a bit.

(I better eat this black pizza before my wife sees it! Cooper! Here boy! Want a bite?? Good Dog! )

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
We have all had those days. I can't comment for the loss of hearing yet. but look at it this way - pretty soon you won't be able to hear your wife.

No offense Mrs. Butch.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
WHAT, WHAT. WHAT DID SHE SAY?? Hearing loss can be a big problem. My step father lost a lot due to his tour in the Vietnam War. He told me if it was a small group he had no problem with the hearing aid, but large crowds would bother him and he would remove them, he also told me he didn't mind because most things were not worth hearing any way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
lost almost 50% of my baseline hearing. most of it in the "speaking voice" range. hear bass levels no prob but it makes it sound like people are mumbleing. family friends and coworkers know they have to face me when talking to me so i can hear them better and do some partial lip reading. gets VERY agrivating sometimes. if you need a hearing aid (i cant stand them) its gonna cost you. unless you get a top of the line one, it makes all the background noises stand out and will drive you insane.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I hear the newer Digitalis are great!I'd wouldn't wait because a siren you mite not hear or a smoke detector.not worth losing your or others life over it!They make them so small they go in the ear and you don't see them.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
whatevva--did you see an otolaryngologist? I usually tell people to only look into getting a hearing aid (HA) if they feel they have a hearing loss. So I'm assuming that even though you have hearing loss, you must have enough hearing left that HAs would be bothersome. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to take a look at your hearing test to give you another opinion. :) I also tell the 80yo to get a HA, as it's too often that I see 'em back at age 85 wishing they would have done it when they were "younger." :)

There are some newer developments in HA technology that make them much more tolerable--the digital/programmable models, as well as the ones with directional microphones. The directional component definitely makes them more tolerable when there's a bunch of back ground noise.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you see an otolaryngologist?
I'm not sure if that was his title. All I knew was he ran a hearing clinic. I'm going to make another appointment with a woman that was recommended. After her name it says M.S., CCC-A

So I'm assuming that even though you have hearing loss, you must have enough hearing left that HAs would be bothersome.
That's what he said... My biggest problem is backround noise

There are some newer developments in HA technology that make them much more tolerable--the digital/programmable models
This is what he told me that I would need. He said that they were $3K each and would have to be replaced every 3 years.

Thanx for the info :)

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I can hear just fine now... I just tune everyone out :D
have you looked into one of those stylish horn thingy's you can put in your ear? that would probably be cheaper...

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Get it checked. The guy that hired me to my current ops/eng gig started losing his and has a tumor it turns out and has to get operated on. I know our hearing and vision start to head towards OFR country, but his advice from his EENT doc was if it is a noticable change go make the copayment and get checked.

Not being able to read the stupid number on these dang tiny 1N414 diodes that I could when I was 28 though is a gradual sort of falling apart thing.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Well, I don't know what to say, Hearing loss is a real drag . Shelby was born with a hearing lost. Well she only hears 25% in one ear with the aid of a hearing aid, The other ear is deaf. But You need to hear her sing, Very funny, she is so out of key Kristine and I lay in bed and listen. She loves to sing. and even better when You are telling her something she don't like she turns it off . and she makes sure You see her do it.

Now my parrent alway told me I woul;d go deaf going to all the concerts and all the loud music I listen to over the years. My hearing is still great. No OFR here

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Butch--I'd guess you probably have seen one of my kind of docs. :) The MS-CCCA is an audiology degree. I would think a HA that runs 3K would last longer than 3 years. I usually think/tell patients they last 5yrs, possibly longer if you really take care of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts