The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was trying to net my Longnosed Hawkfish he jumped out of the tank! He landed a long fall behind my desk and flopped around I got him as soon as I could (i think less than a minute) and put him in the tank. He didn't move at all then he did but he on his side gasping heavily, Is he going to die? I got some dust in the tank after getting him off the floor is that bad?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sorry to hear that clownfishperson, boy you are having a rough week!

There is a good chance he won't make it if he was flopping in the dust and crap behind the tank for a minute but always keep your fingers crossed. The dust that got in the tank isn't going to be detrimental since water changes and vacuuming out the bottom will eventually get it out.

I have been following your posts all day. If money is tight, i would put a swing arm hydrometer on your first to buy list (cheap, less than 10$) so you can accurately make your salt water mix the same as the tank. In your 5 gallon tank, i wouldn't do more than a 1 gallon water change at a time. Small tanks can be very touchy and the matching water parameters is much harder.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles with the hawkfish but i think you should just stick with the 2 clowns for now until you save up for the bigger tank upgrade. Most people wouldn't even recommend 1 fish for a tank that size (except for maybe a clown goby or firefish).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I can get a 30gallon right now but I want to see how I manage a 5. He's still breathing heavily. I didn't know I needed all this equiment when getting a saltwater tank, otherwise I would've :) I'll pick up a bunch of testing stuff soon and some frozen food and anything else i need! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:Still in the same spot :( I put a towel over the tank...I hope it will minimize stress because the lights aren't going on and off as I do stuff haha S:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
!!! I tried to net him and he started jumping I had to quickly put the lid on and watched as he kept jumping and jumping and jumping! Then he gave up and went to the bottom

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I am wondering if there isn't something else going on here. Does he always try to jump or only when you have the net or your hands in the tank? Another thing to consider is if fish continual try to jump out, it could be stray voltage. Another reason why many setups use grounding probes. Is your entire setup run through a GFI outlet? Just another safety issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He only tries to jump when I have the net in the tank, but even after I took the net out he continued to jump...he would jump swim jump swim..... I run my whole system with a wall outlet so I don't know if its that....

I noticed tiny brown spots on him are these part of his design?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like an electrical issue, might not be enough power for u to feel it but the fish could be jerking aound in pain. . I lost my firefish Friday when it jumped out and my tank is grounded, sometimes I just happens. Found it on the counter next to the tank still gasping, not sure how long he was outta water. I put it back in the tank only to find him stuffed under some lr dead, now its condy food.

Hope ur fishy pulls though! Grounding rods are cheap less than $20, and super easy to install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay! I will get some, I have them connected to a black thing with a prong on it so I'm not sure if that affects it. S: Thanks for all your help and I will post updates on my fishy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts