The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Arc Eye Hawkfish has lost some color on me. When I got him a few weeks ago, he was a nice pinkish color, but within a few days, he turned to a darker pink color. His accents around the eyes and on his head are still gold like they were, but it's like his body color has faded. I have been feeding him the super color flakes and I feed him chunks of frozen scallops and brine shrimp every other day or so. He seems to be behaving normally, but I'm concerned about the color. Should I be? Is there something I can do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
they can adjust thier colours to better match their surroundings. so if there is nothing to match they may fade to blend in better with the surroundings.

i would drop the flake feedings. flakes will add to much phosphates to your system. keep up the chopped fishy foods though. hawkfish are ambush predators so the meaty foods is what they need.

ohh, i know why it is fading. you are not feeding it shrimp. they are big crustacean eaters. feed it more chopped shrimp, and less scallops. brine shrimp do not count, they are nutritionally useless for fish. :(

G~

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geoff!!! I knew they were shrimp-eaters, but I didn't know that about the brine shrimp. That's great info. Is frozen shrimp from the seafood section in the grocery store o.k.? Or, is there some other type I should be feeding it?

For the neon dottyback in the tank, are the scallops still o.k.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts